How You Will Make a Difference:
- Develops and executes strategy for protection and enforcement of worldwide intellectual property rights including trademarks, copyrights, patents, domain names and licensing.
- Develops strong partnerships with brand teams and Legal Department colleagues to understand business objectives, protect brand identity, enforce intellectual property rights, and assess portfolio strengths, risks, and needs.
- Leads team of paralegals and assistants to provide comprehensive, consistent intellectual property support to brand teams.
- Reviews and analyzes trademark searches to determine availability; makes strategic decisions on new trademark filings, opposing/cancelling third-party applications/registrations, and defending trademark applications opposed by third parties.
- Negotiates settlement of trademark disputes.
- Advises, drafts, and negotiates intercompany, trademark license, coexistence, and consent agreements.
- Provides IP legal support for corporate restructuring projects and initiatives for International Tax and Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Develop and deliver training for product and marketing teams on IP principles, risks and clearance process.
- Review and authorize third party invoices, partnering with controller and supervising attorney to ensure adherence to budget.
- Actively involved in special projects as needed, such as selecting third party vendors for IP management databases and other technology.
Years of Related Professional Experience: 8+ years
Educational/ Position Requirements:
- At least eight years of experience as attorney at reputable law firm or combination of reputable law firm and in-house
- Juris Doctor degree from a highly reputable, ABA-accredited law school
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing in at least one state/jurisdiction
- Strong intellectual property background, with an emphasis on trademarks
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure and time constraints
- Strong analytical skills, and superior judgment and decision-making skills
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently with a proactive working style
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to lead, influence, and advise at all levels of the VF organization
- Ability to convey a positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work well under pressure
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Intellectual Property Counsel: Become the Newest Member of the VF Family
We are seeking a business-oriented attorney with intellectual property legal experience to join our team. The IP Counsel will lead a team of paralegals and assistants and partner closely with the supervising attorney, VF brand business teams and Legal Department colleagues to provide strategic oversight for the intellectual property of several brands in VF’s portfolio, while also contributing to overall management of VF’s trademark office.