Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is a Chicago-based intellectual property law firm having over 85 attorneys, patent agents, and technical specialists, all dedicated to providing superior intellectual property counseling. We specialize in prosecution and litigation in all areas of intellectual property law. We litigate nationwide, primarily within the federal court system, and register trademarks and secure patents for our clients in the United States and around the world.
We are currently seeking an Associate Attorney for our Trademark practice group.
- License to practice law in Illinois (or licensed to practice law in another state and qualified to sit for the Illinois bar exam).
- Strong academic credentials.
- Strong legal reasoning skills and experience in thinking outside the box to solve complicated problems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and organizational skills.
- 1-3 years of legal experience.
- Experience and interest in trademark prosecution.
- Experience in trademark searches and clearance opinions (pharmaceutical experience a plus).
- Experience and interest in trademark infringement litigation (anti-counterfeiting experience a plus).
- Work experience as a USPTO trademark examiner or work experience before/during law school is a plus.
- Dedication to the trademark sector of IP law evidenced by law school classes, law journal participation or other extracurricular activities, and/or experience in branding, marketing, business, arts, etc. is a plus.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work on trademark clearance searches and opinions
- Preparing and prosecuting applications for trademark registration and preparing substantive replies to office action refusals.
- Counseling clients on how to build and enforce their trademark portfolios, including advocating for our clients in trademark opposition proceedings, federal and state litigation, and other dispute forums.
- This position demands that the individual will, under the supervision of senior attorneys, assume significant client responsibilities, provide high-quality services to domestic and foreign clients, communicate with all levels of management and staff and, at times, require a significant degree of autonomy.
- Preparing and managing anti-counterfeiting litigation.
Compensation for this position includes an annual salary highly competitive within the Chicago market at the experience level specified herein, along with customary benefits and opportunities to earn significant bonuses.
- Group Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employee and Dependent Medical Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Accident and Critical Illness Plans
- Short-Term Disability Program
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401(K), Profit Sharing and Vesting
- Pre-Tax Transportation Plan
- Identify Theft Protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Bright Horizons-Back-Up Child, Adult, and Elder Care
- Stipend and Interest Free Loan Program (for law school students)
- Moving Expenses
- Bar Fees and Related Expenses
- Continuing Legal Education
- Holiday and Paid Time Off
In addition to our generous benefits package, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun offers a culture with great work-life balance in a business-casual atmosphere. Ample opportunity for socialization between our colleagues is encouraged and enjoyed at monthly breakfasts, special-occasion luncheons, happy hours and firm-wide events.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should forward a resume, transcripts and writing samples to Michele J. Gudaitis at email@example.com.
Marshall Gerstein is committed to diversity, equity & inclusion and to the recruitment, retention, and advancement of the most talented and qualified professionals. We recognize that diversity at all levels of our firm, and the collective strength of our differences, enables us to better serve our clients, create enduring relationships, provide a platform for continued success, and improve both the vibrancy and innovation of our working environment.
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We adhere to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
Apply for Trademark Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly