Associate, General Counsel
Borderless is a global company of passionate people brought together by the conviction that hiring local talent anywhere in the world can be the greatest form of economic empowerment and opportunity equalization. Our technology first approach provides a truly frictionless experience for companies to quickly and compliantly hire, pay, and retain their talent – no matter where they are in the world. Companies no longer have to be constrained by borders when looking for great candidates and potential employees no longer have to worry about relocating for their next career opportunity. We think that's a win–win!
This is an exciting, emerging space that has seen significant interest and investment from venture capitalists over the last few years. Borderless is set to be one of the break–out companies in this space that is using technology to disrupt the existing, traditional employer of record (EOR) services and independent contractor management services.
Borderless is currently operating in stealth mode across the US & Canada. Although we're at the beginning of our journey, we've raised several million dollars in funding from venture capitalists and are starting to build out our team globally.
Borderless is looking for an experienced Legal Associate Counsel who is capable of providing legal services to specific business units, including global payments, and international labour laws. You will oversee legal projects, including those pertaining to compliance and strategic initiatives. You will be responsible for offering primary legal support for the implementation of new banking products and services. You will have full ownership in drafting, reviewing and negotiating various contracts and service agreements.
Your responsibilities include:
- Advise on contacts and negotiate in the interest of Borderless
- Draft and review service agreements and technology licensing agreements
- Manage legal issues relating to foreign labour laws and worldwide payments
- Identify and anticipate legal issues, and provide legal advice on risk–reduction tactics
- Provide guidance on the privacy and data governance provisions of different contracts
- Stay up to date with emerging laws and best practices in tech transactions and international payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance
- Engage in a variety of corporate and other legal activities and initiatives, such as personnel issues, litigation, and intellectual property issues
You are excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Be exposed to a variety of interesting and challenging legal tasks and projects
- Work closely with the leadership team to provide legal expert support
- Have ownership of developing creative solutions to support business needs and goals while reducing risk
- Join a fast–growing startup and grow right along with us
- Take on significant challenges whose solutions have a large impact
We are excited about you because:
- You are adaptive to change and have a passion for continuous improvement
- You are trustworthy and have integrity
- You are able to collaborate with other lawyers, legal assistants, and business partners in a respectful and cooperative manner
- You are experienced in managing multiple legal projects on a quality and timely basis
- You are able to learn quickly, work independently and consistently get stuff done.
- You are deeply dedicated to legal and compliance excellence, with strong, well considered opinions on the stuff that matters.
- Bonus points if you have previous experience within HRtech, Fintech and/or Legaltech
- We're taking on tough, global problems within the intersection of HRtech, Fintech & Legaltech that don't have easy solutions. You'll have an impact here.
- We'll grant you a lot of autonomy and trust, and back it up with meaningful empowerment and support.
- We care about outcomes, not output, and since we're all very mission–driven and work hard, we make sure our work is meaningful.
- We care deeply about diversity and consider it absolutely critical to our success, and we do the hard work to make that true.
- We're obsessed with our customers, and that drives the bulk of our decisions. If you can't see yourself adopting that mindset, it won't work out.
- We're an early stage company with great bones, but we have lots of rough edges. You need to be excited about building something from nothing.
- We know where we're headed, but we're still figuring out how to get there. You need to be ok with plans and priorities shifting.
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO with recommended minimums
- Generous extended health and dental care