Rain Oncology Inc is committed to building a passionate team of core scientific, clinical, regulatory, and business leaders to bring new therapies for cancer patients struggling with limited treatment options. Our focus has been and will continue to be new oncology therapeutics based on targeting the biological drivers of the cancer, regardless of tumor type.
Rain Oncology Inc is seeking an experienced biopharmaceutical General Counsel to lead the internal and external legal team as we develop targeted cancer treatment therapies. The ideal candidate has a strong background in the biotechnology industry supporting and providing advice on a broad range of strategic legal initiatives including corporate governance, general securities matters, intellectual property, business development, licensing and acquisitions, employment laws, litigation, regulatory, compliance, commercial, ethics, and privacy.
Reporting to the Chief Executive officer, the General Counsel will be a critically important member of the executive leadership team and the Board of Directors on company strategies, annual business plans and their implementation, assesses and manages risks. As a member of the leadership team, the General Counsel will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a work environment focused on quality and that fosters learning, respect, open communication, collaboration, integration, and teamwork consistent with the Company's core values.
- Manage Company's corporate legal matters, including corporate governance, general securities matters, intellectual property, business development activities including licensing and acquisitions, employment laws, litigations, regulatory, compliance, commercial, and privacy.
- Efficiently guide the company's legal activities and minimize risks for the business, developing functional plans for managing legal matters, including activities to be performed in–house or through third–party providers.
- Provide high quality, timely and practical legal advice, and guidance to identify and help resolve critical legal and business issues arising from regulatory, pre–clinical, clinical, technical operations, and research and development activities.
- Advise The CEO, President/CSO, and senior management on strategic and complex business issues including deal structuring, licensing, intellectual property, risk management and employment law.
- Serve as Corporate Secretary in Board meetings and work with the appropriate Board committees to advise on matters of corporate governance and matters covered under the Board Committee charters.
- Ensure that the Company has developed an effective global ethics and compliance program with programs to prevent and detect violations of laws, company policies, and other misconduct; promote ethical practices; and ensure the implementation of the compliance program throughout the organization.
- Shape and own intellectual property strategy; manage all patent prosecution through external patent counsel.
- Advise on regulatory requirements regarding investigational product submissions, clinical trials, drug safety management, and commercialization in the United States, Europe, and other key jurisdictions.
- Structure and negotiate business agreements, including merger/acquisition agreements, license agreements, R&D agreements, supply, manufacturing and distribution agreements, government contracts, real estate contracts, joint ventures and strategic alliances.
- Represent Rain in interactions with regulatory authorities and other global agencies, as appropriate, that may affect the company's development and commercialization plans.
- Act as the legal internal stakeholder for cross–functional teams, such as development program teams or medical and legal review teams.
- Lead the contracts process, working with contracts teams in drafting and negotiating contracts, including master services agreements, clinical trial agreements, supply agreements, and material transfer agreements.
- Review and approve presentations, press releases, website materials, brochures, and other company communications (internal and external).
- Licensed California attorney with a minimum of 15 years of combined law firm and/or in–house experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry, including at least five years of experience serving in a full–time capacity as General Counsel of a publicly traded company.
- Track record of asset licensing, acquisitions and/or divestitures; experience with big pharma / big biotech organizations as counter parties are preferred (deal sheet to be provided by candidate)
- Experience in litigation management, M&A, business development, IP prosecution and strategy
- Excellent knowledge and experience advising clients on laws and regulations governing the biotechnology industry both in and outside the U.S., including FDA and EMA requirements, False Claims Act, Anti–Kickback Statute, OIG guidance, the PhRMA Code, HIPAA, GDPR and other privacy laws, and product liability laws.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities including experience managing cross–functional legal teams, as well as sound business and legal judgment, and strategic and analytical thinking.
- Experience working with all levels of management and key business stakeholders with a demonstrated ability to influence outcomes and effectively communicate legal risks to executive leadership and senior management.
- Excellent organizational skills and able to work with a team to meet critical deadlines; flexible and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
The pay range that the Company reasonably expects to pay for this position is $323,000 – $420,000; the pay ultimately offered may vary based on legitimate considerations, including job–related knowledge, skills, experience, and education. An annual cash bonus and equity grants may be provided as part of the overall compensation package, in addition to a full range of financial, health and wellness benefits, dependent on the position offered.
Rain Oncology Inc is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Rain are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Local Candidates Preferred