For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science–driven, patient–forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long–term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin's General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients' lives.
BioMarin is seeking candidates for an Intellectual Property Paralegal to work with our dynamic team in the IP Legal department. We are looking for a forward–thinking and proactive individual, quick to offer help when needs arise. This candidate is highly organized, detail–oriented, self–motivated and enjoys working closely with multiple attorneys and external partners to make an impact. Someone with excellent communication skills, and ability to exercise tact and professionalism in helping to complete tasks in an efficient manner and use strategic thinking to assess competing demands and prioritize appropriately in view of deadlines. The candidate must also enjoy engaging with technology to carry out critical job functions and aiding team efficiencies. This position will be temporary to begin with but have the possibility for full time employment.
- Maintaining all aspects of intellectual property docketing and file management.
- Tracking/monitoring due dates for intellectual property related annuities and renewals including coordinating with attorneys, instructing vendors, and confirming payments.
- Reading, understanding, and accurately extracting information from documents and correspondence.
- Proofreading documents including patent applications, filing receipts, assignments, declarations, etc.
- Working independently or collaboratively with others to meet deadlines with precision and accuracy.
- Balancing multiple tasks and handling other administrative responsibilities and additional projects as needed to support team of patent practitioners and paralegal.
- Proactively manage projects and assignments, ensuring all deadlines are met in a timely manner.
- Work closely with IP team to prepare, organize and save correspondence using set standards and procedures.
- A minimum 3–5 years of patent experience including: docketing and/or assisting in prosecution; experience with biotech or pharmaceutical patents strongly preferred.
- Intellectual property experience including trademarks, invention disclosures, agreements, and various intellectual property related actions.
- Experience handling patent annuities and renewals including tracking/monitoring due dates.
- Experience with electronic IP docketing systems; familiarity with Anaqua IP docketing system strongly preferred.
- Experience with document and email management applications and databases including Outlook, Sharepoint, iManage, etc.; familiarity with iManage system strongly preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Exhibits professionalism and composure in demanding environment and in meeting short deadlines.
- Willingness towards learning new software applications.
- Strong oral, written, and organizational skills.
- Associate, B.A. or B.S. strongly preferred.
In the U.S, the hiring range for this position is (USD)31.00 to (USD)50.00 per hour. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity, and may also vary depending on candidate's geographic region, job–related knowledge, skills, and experience amongst other factors.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID–19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.