Corporate Counsel, R&D
Kezar Life Sciences is seeking a Corporate Counsel to support its fast–growing research and development programs. This position will be the third member of the Legal group and will be responsible for contract negotiation and management throughout the organization. The position will also contribute to corporate matters, IP management and legal compliance. Kezar is seeking candidates who are detailed, organized and proactive, while maintaining high quality and ethical standards.
The Corporate Counsel will have an opportunity to develop legal skills and biotechnology experience in the fields of autoimmune disease and cancer. The ideal candidate will have experience with contracts, intellectual property and/or clinical development. The primary responsibility will be contract management and negotiation in support of clinical trials, research, academic collaborations, vendor relationships and administrative functions. There will be opportunities to contribute to SEC compliance, corporate matters and financing activities, and this role will assist with the administration of a small molecule patent portfolio in coordination with external counsel. This position will also support the development of legal policies and compliance procedures. The Corporate Counsel position is based out of our South San Francisco office.
Kezar is focused on small–molecule drug discovery and development to target immune–mediated diseases and cancer. Kezar's lead product candidate, zetomipzomib, is being evaluated in clinical trials for the treatment of lupus nephritis and autoimmune hepatitis. Kezar is also conducting an oncology clinical trial of KZR–261, the first candidate from its novel platform targeting the protein secretion pathway. This research platform has the potential to generate additional small molecule compounds with therapeutic potential in cancer and inflammation.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of agreements, including master service agreements, clinical trial agreements, consulting and confidentiality agreements, licensing and research collaborations, supply and vendor contracts, with guidance from senior attorneys
- Manage contracts workflow and records management systems
- Work with scientific team, GC, and patent counsel in managing a small molecule patent portfolio
- Negotiate research agreements with academic investigators and institutions
- Work with clinical development team to advance clinical trials and meet business objectives
- Collaborate with discovery team to provide legal support for preclinical oncology research
- Interact with external counsel and advisors regarding IP matters
- Assist with preparing SEC documents, governance, and financing activities
- Interact with external vendors and business partners
- Assist with the development of compliance policies and procedures; for example, compliance with data privacy laws relating to clinical trials
- Advise on the interpretation of legal documents in a manner that provides accurate guidance and practical advice while properly managing risk to the organization
- Keep informed of new laws and regulations affecting the company
- Work collaboratively with internal clients by providing clear, practical, and timely legal advice
Not sure if you are qualified for this position? We know that skills and experience can show up in different ways and we welcome resumes from a broad range of applicants. You are encouraged to apply even if you do not meet each of the listed preferred qualifications.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- J.D. from a nationally recognized law school and member of a state bar
- 2 to 5 years of legal experience at a national law firm and / or in – house with exposure to contracts, licensing and / or intellectual property
- Experience working in the biotechnology industry; bachelor's degree in the biological sciences; and/or academic credentials in intellectual property
- Experience drafting and negotiating contracts, preferably with an emphasis on life sciences transactions and intellectual property issues
- Some experience with patent prosecution is a plus, but not required
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, legal judgment and ethics
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position at our South San Francisco, CA corporate office is $185,000–$210,000. Factors such as academic credentials and relevant experience will influence the actual salary offered. In addition to a competitive market–based salary, Kezar Life Sciences offers the opportunity to participate in stock programs, a performance–based bonus, and a comprehensive benefits package including 401K. Additional information about our total rewards program can be found here: Join Our Team – Kezar Life Sciences Inc.
About Kezar Life Sciences
We are developing first–in–class, small molecule therapies designed to inhibit multiple disease–driving cellular pathways by targeting key intracellular proteins. Since inception, our mission has been to deliver unique treatments that can better the lives of patients fighting difficult–to–treat chronic diseases. Our team is passionate about discovering promising targets that were previously unidentified or undruggable and have the potential to change the treatment paradigm for a range of conditions.
Here at Kezar, our employees are our greatest asset and are the drivers of the Company's success. Every day, our team of passionate professionals are converting scientific ideas to first–in–class assets that have the potential for significant clinical impact in the most difficult–to–treat diseases. Together, we are focused on the common mission of helping patients overcome their chronic conditions and live a better life.
We believe in fostering a culture of trust and respect for all team members at all levels. Our employees are encouraged to question, exchange views and discover new ways to address issues and solve problems. We welcome differences in ideas, styles and practices to accomplish our goals. Hard working, innovative and compassionate are qualities every Kezar employee should possess and we're always looking for equally dynamic and motivated individuals to join our team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Kezar Life Sciences does not accept from recruiters/agencies any unsolicited resumes, or any candidate information including blinded resumes and will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes or candidate information that is unsolicited. Please do not contact hiring managers or Kezar Life Sciences employees directly with any information related to a resume or a candidate. We handle all recruiting through our internal Human Resources team, and we will reach out to you directly should we wish to engage in a search. Your willingness to comply with this will significantly impact any decision we may make about doing business with you.