Senior Director, Corporate Counsel
What's in it for you?
In this role, you will have an opportunity to be part of a dynamic, growing Legal Team focused on providing high quality legal services to the business, to management, and to the Board of Directors. You will form close partnerships with internal stakeholders throughout the organization, with a primary focus on business development activities. As Corporate Counsel, you will be an integral part of the Legal Team, reporting directly to the Company's Chief Legal Officer and working closely with her. You will provide legal and strategic guidance to the Business Development team, the cross–functional teams supporting the Company's collaborations, and to management team on related matters. To be successful, you will have previous and varied experience drafting, negotiating, finalizing collaboration and licensing arrangements, and supporting the post–execution management of collaborations. You are comfortable working in a fast–paced environment, with a demonstrated ability to parallel process multiple projects with competing timelines. This is an opportunity to be a part of a growing biotech focused on cancer drug development with a thriving mission–focused culture.
How do you know if you're the right fit?
Your background and experience will allow you to:
- Appreciate complex and nuanced technology and product licensing transactions, with an ability to engage in strategic discussions with business teams to optimize the Company's position with respect to existing and potential partners.
- Draft, negotiate, and work collaboratively with multiple business teams to execute on business development objectives.
- Effectively manage and orchestrate services from outside counsel vis–à–vis internal business clients.
- Collaborate cross–functionally with the multiple stakeholders within the organization, including the business development, research, regulatory, development, commercial and finance teams.
- Collaborate fluidly with other members of the Legal Team in relation to a broad range of topics, including miscellaneous contracts with third parties, diligence efforts, protecting and defending intellectual property rights, and other special projects.
The other stuff
This role is best suited for a seasoned business lawyer (JD) with at least 7–10 years of experience. In–house experience is strongly preferred. Additionally, the perfect person for this role will have:
- Demonstrated experience and accomplishment in a broad range of business development transactions.
- Experience advising business stakeholders on strategic matters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills that will enable effective interactions with internal client groups as well as with colleagues on the Legal team.
- The ability to manage outside counsel and interact with other outside stakeholders as needed (current and potential collaboration partners).
- The ability to organize and execute on multiple complex tasks in parallel, ensuring that Legal and non–Legal deliverables are completed in a timely manner.
- Attention to detail and accuracy as well as comfort working in a fast–paced environment.
- The desire to become well–versed in the business environment of the Company.
- Commitment to adherence to ethics and integrity in all engagements.
- The ability to be a collegial team player, with a healthy sense of humor.
Position is eligible for bonus, option awards and benefits including medical, dental and life insurance, 401(k) participation, vacation and paid holidays.
Successful candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.
Mersana Therapeutics, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.