- BioMarin is seeking candidates for an Intellectual Property Paralegal to work with our dynamic team in the IP Legal department.
- We are looking for a forward–thinking and proactive individual, quick to offer help when needs arise.
- This candidate is highly organized, detail–oriented, self–motivated and enjoys working closely with multiple attorneys and external partners to make an impact.
- Someone with excellent communication skills, and ability to exercise tact and professionalism in helping to complete tasks in an efficient manner and use strategic thinking to assess competing demands and prioritize appropriately in view of deadlines.
- The candidate must also enjoy engaging with technology to carry out critical job functions and aiding team efficiencies.
- This position will be temporary to begin with but have the possibility for full time employment.
- Maintaining all aspects of intellectual property docketing and file management.
- Tracking/monitoring due dates for intellectual property related annuities and renewals including coordinating with attorneys, instructing vendors, and confirming payments.
- Reading, understanding, and accurately extracting information from documents and correspondence.
- Proofreading documents including patent applications, filing receipts, assignments, declarations, etc.
- Working independently or collaboratively with others to meet deadlines with precision and accuracy.
- Balancing multiple tasks and handling other administrative responsibilities and additional projects as needed to support team of patent practitioners and paralegal.
- Proactively manage projects and assignments, ensuring all deadlines are met in a timely manner.
- Work closely with IP team to prepare, organize and save correspondence using set standards and procedures.
- A minimum 3–5 years of patent experience including: docketing and/or assisting in prosecution; experience with biotech or pharmaceutical patents strongly preferred.
- Intellectual property experience including trademarks, invention disclosures, agreements, and various intellectual property related actions.
- Experience handling patent annuities and renewals including tracking/monitoring due dates.
- Experience with electronic IP docketing systems; familiarity with Anaqua IP docketing system strongly preferred.
- Experience with document and email management applications and databases including Outlook, Sharepoint, iManage, etc.; familiarity with iManage system strongly preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Exhibits professionalism and composure in demanding environment and in meeting short deadlines.
- Willingness towards learning new software applications. Strong oral, written, and organizational skills.
- Associate, B.A. or B.S. strongly preferred. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity, and may also vary depending on candidate's geographic region, job–related knowledge, skills, and experience amongst other factors.