Managing Attorney - Office of the General Counsel
- Georgia Gerontology Society (GGS)
- Jan 03, 2023
- Jan 29, 2023
- Contract Type
The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the regional planning and intergovernmental coordination agency that focuses on issues critical to the region's success, including growth and development, transportation, water resources, services for older adults and workforce solutions. ARC is dedicated to unifying the region's collective resources to prepare the metropolitan area for a prosperous future. This is done through professional planning initiatives, the provision of objective information and the involvement of the community in collaborative partnerships.
The Atlanta Regional Commission is seeking a motivated, experienced candidate to fill the position of Managing Attorney. The Managing Attorney will work in the Office of the General Counsel under the direct supervision of the General Counsel in support of the organizational – wide legal, procurement, contracting, and compliance initiatives.
Under general direction of the General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer, the Managing Attorney will provide complex or specialized legal advice and services on various agency matters concerning the rights, obligations, and privileges of the organization and will resolve highly complex business and legal issues by identifying pragmatic legal solutions and recommending a course of action.
Additionally, the Managing Attorney will assist in the management and oversight of contract compliance and administration, procurement and purchasing, policies and procedures and applicable State and Federal regulations. The Managing Attorney role will also support supervision of staff in the legal, procurement, contracting, and compliance areas, and support as staff liaison to outside counsel on various legal, contract and procurement matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs complex research and analysis regarding legal, procurement and compliance initiatives; Research best practices on agency policies, organizational objectives, and business conditions; develops policy solutions for Executive and Board consideration; supports the implementation or programs, policies, and initiatives;
• Drafts, reviews contracts, grants, and other legal documents; prepares, reviews, and amends contracts, agreements, and other legal documents; approves form of contracts and agreements; negotiates terms and conditions of documents; provides legal advice on interpretation of terms and conditions of contracts/agreements; enforces or assists in enforcing terms and conditions;
• Provides support supervision of departmental staff, which may include conducting training;
• Advises and supports the General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer on various matters and prepares legal opinions
• Conducts legal research; reviews, interprets, and provides legal advice at the direction of General Counsel, and counsel regarding applicable federal, state, and local laws, including regulations, policies, and procedures;
• May Interact with Agency leadership (staff and board members) in an advisory capacity at the direction of General Counsel; establishes ongoing collaborative working relationships both inside and external to the Agency;
• Develops presentations, policy documents and reports for the General Counsel; responds to requests and inquiries; gathers, analyzes, frames, and summarizes complex information used in executive decision–making and communications; convenes and facilitates meetings;
• Ensures compliance with records retention policy and advises on records management and Open Records compliance activities;
• Performs other duties as assigned to support agency goals and objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
• Supervisory principles, practices, and techniques;
• Practices and methods of coaching and leading the work of others.
• Internal and external audit and compliance requirements;
• Techniques and methods for organizing, prioritizing, assigning, and monitoring work;
• Principles and practices of contract administration;
• Principles and methods of qualitative and quantitative research;
• Principles and applications of critical thinking and analysis;
• Applicable federal, state and local laws, codes, regulations (based on assignment). Specialized equipment relevant to area of assignment;
• Coordinating deadlines, prioritizing work demands, and assigning/monitoring work performed;
• Preparing and administering grants;
• Contract administration;
• Gathering data, analyzing findings, and applying logic and reason;
• Interpreting, monitoring and reporting information and statistics;
• Authoring and preparing original reports, technical documents and presentations. Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations and standards (based on assignment);
• Providing customer service;
• Utilizing a computer and relevant software applications;
• Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors the general public and others to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work.
• Experience in the practice of employment law, non–profit or government law, or intellectual property.
• Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school;
• Four (4) years' solid legal experience
• Contract Administration Experience
• Admittance as an attorney in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia;
• Compliance with the State Bar of Georgia Continuing Education requirements.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
• Selected candidate will be subject to a criminal background check
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $93,275 – $130,000 (no SS deductions except for Medicare portion, approx. 1.45% of salary)
ARC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion or disability in employment or the provision of services.