- LAW BUSINESS RESEARCH
- New Jersey
- Feb 01, 2023
- Feb 18, 2023
- Trademark Agent
- Contract Type
Docket Navigator is a legal information and analytics company based in the Austin, Texas area. We mine litigation data, add analysis and content, and bring transparency to the litigation process. We deliver actionable intelligence to more than 16,000 lawyers and judges, including 88 of the top 100 law firms in the U.S. and hundreds of the world's largest companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung, Facebook, Tesla, Nike, Pfizer, Sony, GE, and many more.
Our Market Opportunity
Commentators estimate the Fortune 500 spend around $210 billion on litigation each year, which is equivalent to one–third of their combined after–tax profits. Despite the high price tag, litigation is inefficient and uncertain. Key decisions are driven largely by the attorneys' individual experiences which cover very small data sets, limited in time, geography, and practice area. Analyzing past litigation data with tools like Docket Navigator allows modern lawyers to gain insights into:
- Judicial Decision–Making How does a judge tend to rule on certain issues?
- Law Firm Performance Which law firms obtain the best results?
- Optimal Strategies Which arguments and evidence produce the desired outcome?
- Company Litigation Behaviour Does a company tend to settle or litigate?
These insights are highly valued because they reduce the cost and uncertainty of litigation and help lawyers and their clients make better decisions.
Although litigation data has always been publicly available, the process of gathering and structuring the data and drawing meaningful insights from it has only just begun. Docket Navigator took the first step with U.S. patent litigation cases, and later expanded its system to cover federal copyright, trademark, antitrust, securities, and trade secret cases. We will continue to expand our coverage to include additional federal and state court cases within the U.S., and foreign jurisdictions.
We are currently seeking an exceptional Attorney Editor. Attorney Editors are the heart of what we do. Our team also includes software engineers, data scientists, and designers, but the software they create is designed for one purpose: to deliver Attorney Editor created content to our 16,000+ subscribers. This is an opportunity with options for personal growth in many directions. Find your aptitude, balance many tasks, become the in–house expert/mentor and have direct input into all areas of a successful litigation intelligence company.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- JD from ABA accredited law school
- Deep thinker who loves writing and the intellectual challenge of legal studies
- Self–starter with a holistic interest in Docket Navigator's projects and products
- Interest in a legal career outside of the law firm experience
- Familiarity with federal civil procedure and evidence
- Interested in living in the Austin, Texas area
- Education or experience with federal copyright or trademark litigation or federal intellectual property litigation is a plus but not required
- Background in math, statistics, software engineering, or analytics is a plus but not required
- A competitive full–time salary
- Super generous 100% company–funded retirement plan
- Paid holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- A really, really, fun group of co–workers
- Suburban family–friendly location with minimal commute for most employees
- Newly constructed office on Austin's burgeoning technology corridor with outdoor patio seating by greenbelt, beautiful kitchen and comfortable common areas
Our Office Culture
Due to our small size and the collaborative nature of our work, we place a premium on candidates who interact well with others. We believe the best decisions happen when there is lively discussion of new ideas, so we expect everyone to be friendly and respectful. We don't encourage office drama. We are passionate about our work and our ability to meet deadlines, but we're relaxed about most other things. We enjoy spending time together, but we all have lives outside the office.
About Law Business Research
Law Business Research is a technology–enabled information services business powering the global legal industry with intelligence, analytics and performance data.
We deliver must–have intelligence to our clients when they need it, through a combination of time–sensitive insight, proprietary data and analytics, expert research, and sophisticated tools.
Please visit our website for more information.