Assistant General Counsel, IP Transactions and Licensing (Virtual
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it's about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE, Inc.'s rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they're always on their game – with the mission to advance and guide Nike's business through innovative, offense–minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and superior counsel to Nike's global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.
Nike's rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they're always on their game – with the mission to advance and guide Nike's business through innovative, offense–minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and outstanding counsel to Nike's global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
As with other industry leaders, all aspects of Nike's business are powered by innovation. We are looking for an experienced intellectual property (IP) attorney to join our growing Legal and Intellectual Property teams as Assistant General Counsel, IP Transactions & Licensing, and assume a role in guiding our innovation and technology teams on IP–focused agreements and IP strategy and protection as they take Nike's growth to the next level. This position will include an emphasis on digital IP and innovation.WHAT WILL YOU WORK ON?
As Assistant General Counsel, IP Transactions & Licensing, you will structure, draft, review and negotiate a wide range of IP–focused agreements and IP provisions for Nike to support and drive innovation and growth. You will work closely with the Nike Virtual Studios and RTFKT teams. Transaction types include NFT–related agreements, virtual goods collaboration and licensing transactions, video gaming deals, cloud services, artificial intelligence models, services and consulting arrangements, strategic partnerships, joint development efforts, open innovation activities, research agreements, IP acquisitions, and inbound and outbound licenses. In addition to handling the legal work on meaningful transactions, you will provide strategic advice related to the company's IP development, strategic partnerships, business relationships, and licensing activities. You will prepare and deliver IP–focused training programs designed to enhance innovation efforts and business results.WHO WILL YOU WORK WITH?
Under the supervision of our Senior Counsel, IP Transactions & Licensing, you will work directly with senior management, technical/business partners, and other Nike Legal colleagues, in particular members of the Patent team, Consumer Digital Legal team, and Privacy team. You will also partner closely with Nike's Business Development, Global Procurement, and other supporting functions. International transactions will require collaboration with Nike's excellent team of Legal talent who are located outside of the United States.
WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO NIKE?
- Juris Doctorate degree or international equivalent.
- Member, in good standing, of at least one U.S. State Bar and willingness to acquire and meet the requirements of membership in the Oregon State Bar through in–house counsel membership or reciprocity, as applicable.
- Admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and a technical degree are preferred.
- 6+ years of law firm or in–house experience in: negotiating and drafting IP and technology transactional, development, and license agreements, and IP provisions of commercial agreements; and IP substantive areas, including patent prosecution, IP litigation, trade secret counseling, and/or open source review and counseling.
- Experience in NFTs, virtual goods, gaming, and/or artificial intelligence is preferred.
- The ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, with technology, business, and legal professionals at all levels.
- The willingness and ability to learn and be coached, collaborate as a standout colleague, respect Nike teammates at all levels, and have a positive attitude.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.