Senior Director, Legal Counsel
- CaseWare International Inc.
- Feb 02, 2023
- Feb 14, 2023
- Contract Type
Caseware is one of Canada's original Fintech companies, having led the global audit and accounting software industry for over 30 years, with more than 500,000 users across 130 countries and available in 16 different languages. While you might not have heard of us (yet) over 36,000 accounting and audit professionals list Caseware as a skill on their LinkedIn profiles!
We are looking for a Senior Director, Legal Counsel to join Caseware. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), you will be a key member of the senior leadership team and play an integral role in continuing to shape and scale the legal function within our ever–growing business.
You will lead the Legal Team in providing day–to–day legal advice and overall guidance on various issues, including risk mitigation, customer/vendor contracts, data processing and security, corporate leases, and insurance. A key responsibility for this role will be to help scale the Legal Team, continue to establish the department's strategy, and oversee key customer deals, all while being a collaborative partner, both internally and externally to the organization.
What You Bring to this Role:
– Strong leadership skills with a high degree of business acumen.
– Experience managing and scaling a legal team within a fast–growth SaaS–based company.
– Significant experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts, specifically on–prem software, and SaaS–based services.
– Working knowledge of employment law and related issues, including providing guidance on applicable policies and procedures (i.e. code of conduct, people book, signing authority, etc.).
– Experience with corporate governance matters for international entities, including updating corporate records, and maintaining D/O slates and corporate ledgers.
– Ability to act as a mentor to other members of the Legal Team.
– Intense work ethic with a willingness to take ownership of projects and company–wide initiatives.
– Knowledge and experience with giving explicit advice on data protection laws, including CCPA/CCPA, GDPR, UK Data Protection Act, etc.
What You May Bring to this Role :
– Exposure to M&A and conducting legal due diligence with the assistance of external counsel.
– Lias and communicating with Board Members and Investors.
– Experience with overseeing the implementation of contract management software.
–Understanding of domestic and international trademark and patent registration/renewal processes.
–Knowledge of working with a distribution channel.
–Experience supporting international PeopleOps issues, including unions/works councils.
–Experience with the audit and accounting industry.
You'll be reporting into:
Brian Kyle – CFO
Chengeer Lee – Senior Talent Acquisition Partner
This is a hybrid role: 3 days a week in the office are expected. Office location: 351 King Street East, Toronto, ON, M5C 2V6What you will be doing:
- Help manage a variety of complex legal agreements with a significant focus on technology software and data privacy, including enterprise customer license agreements, distribution agreements, and vendor agreements, related to SaaS subscription services;
- Draft and maintain policies, procedures, and contract templates, as required, to meet regulatory requirements and/or improve internal review workflows;
- Understand and be able to advise the Executive Leadership Team on changes to relevant laws and regulations, including global privacy and data protection requirements;
- Work in real–time through regular interaction with internal and external clients regarding legal and regulatory requirements, and overall enterprise risk management;
- Support negotiations with customers, solution partners, suppliers, governments, and other stakeholders in a global context;
- Support legal aspects of the organization's risk management strategies with a particular concern for regulatory and operational compliance, cyber security, and organizational resilience/redundancy initiatives;
- Support external counsel with intellectual property registrations, renewals and potential litigation;
- Managing external counsel spending and legal budget;
- Some travel may be required, from time to time; and
- Other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Called to the Bar of Ontario with membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario. Additional membership to a US State Bar is a plus!
- A minimum of 7+ years of relevant legal experience, either in a law firm or in–house at a technology company
- Comfortable interacting with and providing advice to all levels of the organization (i.e. Executive Leadership Team, Senior Management, Board of Directors, Investors, etc.).
- Experience with SaaS, subscription agreements, reseller agreements, and other cloud–based and technology–related offerings
- Knowledge of data processing and privacy legislation IAPP CIPP certification a plus
- A high level of attention to detail and focus on accuracy
- The ability to work collaboratively with other teams in the organization, including but not limited to Finance, Sales, People Ops, Product, and Technology
- An energetic self–starter with demonstrated initiative and exceptional business judgment.
Caseware's cutting–edge software products are meticulously designed for accounting firms, corporations, and governments.Our teams are continually collaborating, innovating, and building upon our existing suite of products. With a customer–focused mindset, we are building technology that is shaping what the future of audits, financial reporting, and financial data analytics will look like.
With a recent strategic investment from Hg Capital in 2020, Caseware is now in its next major growth phase as we double down on the people and products that have made Caseware so successful to date.
One of Caseware's core values is Many Voices, One Team and with that in mind, we're dedicated to building teams as diverse as our customers in an equitable and inclusive way. We welcome and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Should you require accommodations or have any questions at any point during the application or interview process, please e–mail our People Operations team at .
Any candidates successful in obtaining an offer for a position will need to successfully complete a background check through Certn.co which typically includes an Identity Verification and Criminal Record Check. Executives and Senior Managers will undergo a Soft Credit Check as well.