- Elster & McGrady
- Chicago, Illinois
- Feb 16, 2023
- Apr 17, 2023
- Contract Type
By now you have heard the buzz around the trademark world’s newest boutique, Elster & McGrady. We are having a great time taking care of clients and each other. We believe that concierge-level service combined with competitive rates and a generous helping of quality of life for our team is the right recipe to shake up the law firm industry. Want to join the fun? We are looking to add a traditional trademark paralegal with 3-7 years of experience to our growing and engaged team.
What does the job look like?
· The role will be full-time, hourly position annualized at 1820 hours per year (35 hrs/wk). We expect that you will work no more than 35 hours per week barring client emergencies. If there is an unavoidable client emergency, we will all chip in to do what we have to do, but emergencies will be the exception and not the rule. It's important to note that the role does not have a billable hour requirement (that would stink), although we may still ask you to track your billable time. Many, but not all, of our clients have ditched the billable hour and work with us on monthly subscriptions or project-based flat fees.
· Initially, your duties will be those of a general paralegal assisting with the start-up of a boutique law firm. We intend to bring on additional staff as necessary due to growth. Eventually, your role will focus on traditional trademark matters (search & clearance, filing, responses to office actions, and maintenance) along with corresponding trademark docketing.
· We expect everyone to be on the sales team helping us locate and curate clients that fit our capacity and our model. We offer a bonus on collected revenues that result from your efforts to help us find and onboard new clients, in addition to any end-of-year bonus.
· We believe that you are able to best manage your time away from work and are offering unlimited, paid vacation so long as you don't abuse it. Rest leads to better health and better client service, and moreover, we are committed to creating an environment focused on each of our well-being. This isn’t some covert way to pressure you into taking less vacation. It is our way of letting you have time away from work when you need it.
· Benefits include a reasonable health insurance plan and a simple IRA with a 3% match from the firm.
· Most importantly, we recognize that you are a person with thoughts and feelings that matter. Part of our evaluation of employees is how well they support others on the team. We are all in this together, but what fun we will have!
· While we anticipate that remote work will happen now and again, we are going to have some really fun office space in Chicago’s hip North Center neighborhood. Because we are serious about focusing on the human element, there is a preference for local candidates at this time (if you are not local but think we should hire you anyway, please write and tell us why).
If you are interested in the position, please send us a current CV containing details of your prior work experience and a cover letter telling us 1) how you would help us disrupt the trademark services industry; and 2) what you love the most about the Chicago Cubs (even if you aren't a Cubs fan). Seriously, don’t forget the part about the Chicago Cubs; it's really important.
Jason & Paul
Elster & McGrady LLC is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Elster & McGrady LLC prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Elster & McGrady LLC conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Apply for Trademark Paralegal
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly