Senior Contracts Counsel
At EY, you'll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we're counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
The Senior Counsel – is a member of the Ernst & Young LLP (EY) U.S. General Counsel's Office (GCO), that primarily supports both the Audit and Tax service lines. Such support includes consulting with business and risk management leaders, negotiating audit engagement letters, developing templates, working on policies, negotiating services and related technology agreements, and other related legal support. The work is complex and requires sound experience in the accounting industry, contract drafting and privacy issues.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts with third parties (including audit engagement letters, master service agreements and SaaS agreements)
- Providing practical advice and guidance to internal clients and stakeholders, and developing solutions to issues while effectively managing legal and practical business considerations
- Developing commercial knowledge of service offerings and key client sectors to support legal advice
- Working collaboratively with internal clients to develop strategies to address identified issues
- Advising client engagement teams and the relevant Service Line leaders of the key legal risks of the proposed project or contract, including the legal and regulatory issues that need to be addressed early in the process
- Coordinating with cross functional teams (tax, independence, data privacy and information security) in order to provide a comprehensive risk assessment and risk management
- When considering items with implications beyond the EY U.S. firm, consulting with legal counsel in other member firms around the world to explain the objective of the activity, the data or personnel that will be impacted, how risks will be mitigated and managed; and addressing any remaining local issues with the affected member firms, the counterparty and other stakeholders
- Interpreting and explaining contract terms and conditions for internal clients and stakeholders
- Confirming that contracts are compliant with EY policies and maintaining an understanding of the impact of any changes in EY's policies, organizational structure and procedures
- Contractually protecting EY's intellectual property to prevent loss to third parties
- Effectively managing workflow, including multiple projects, in a proactive and highly responsive manner
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities:
- Provide advice based on the appropriate balance of risk mitigation and business interests on a real–time basis
- Use of independent judgment and thinking applied to resolution of issues
- Escalate identified key issues and contractual provisions in accordance with EY policies/protocols
- Work independently on projects, with limited direction, and draw upon knowledge and experience to deliver quality risk management
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Experience in the audit and accounting industry is highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills; demonstrated ability to create, plan and successfully execute projects; and the ability to meet multiple deadlines in a fast–paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to interface and communicate effectively and diplomatically with all levels of EY personnel
- Experience with negotiation techniques, transactional analysis, contract law, IP, commercial agreements and workload/project management
- Excellent negotiation, drafting and interpersonal skills, with high degree of cultural and emotional intelligence
- Ability to understand, and accurately articulate and document, complex concepts
- Ability to assess size and scope of contemplated transactions and to tailor approach accordingly
- Understanding of when to consult with and seek the input of others
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks with competing deadlines
- Ability to foster teamwork and maintain effective working relationships with internal clients/stakeholders
- Responsiveness with ability to manage high workload volumes efficiently and effectively
- Commercial, solution–oriented thinking, with a focus on exceptional client service
- The Senior Counsel – Audit and Tax will receive general direction from his/her supervisor and should consult with the supervisor when dealing with complex or high–risk issues
- This role is expected to work independently and should be comfortable proceeding based on guidance and general direction rather than hands–on micro management and supervision
- This position will also include training other team members
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited 4–year college
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Approximately 8 – 10 or more years of relevant work experience in a related role, with a particular emphasis in the accounting industry
- Membership in a State Bar as an attorney; qualified to practice law as an in–house attorney preferably in New York, DC or Georgia
- Good standing with the State Bar, including being current on individual state Continuing Legal Education requirements
What we offer
We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to the business. The salary range for this job in most geographic locations in the US is $169,800 to $308,200. The salary range for New York City Metro Area, Washington State and California (excluding Sacramento) is $203,800 to $350,200. Individual salaries within those ranges are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge, skills and geography. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, pension and 401(k) plans, and a wide range of paid time off options. Under our flexible vacation policy, you'll decide how much vacation time you need based on your own personal circumstances. You'll also be granted time off for designated EY Paid Holidays, Winter/Summer breaks, Personal/Family Care, and other leaves of absence when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well–being.
- Continuous learning: You'll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We'll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We'll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You'll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It's yours to build.
EY Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long–term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.
EY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer providing equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other legally protected basis, including arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable law.
EY is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and either need assistance applying online or need to request an accommodation during the interview process, please call 1–800–EY–HELP3, type Option 2 (HR–related inquiries) and then type Option 1 (HR Shared Services Center), which will route you to EY's Talent Shared Services Team or email SSC Customer Support at .