Senior Counsel, Licensing, Legal Affairs, CBS Network
- Paramount Pictures
- Los Angeles
- Mar 13, 2023
- Mar 26, 2023
- Contract Type
Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link
Hollywood, CA, US, 90028
CBS, a subsidiary of Paramount Global, creates and distributes industry–leading content across a variety of platforms to audiences around the world. The Company has businesses with origins that date back to the dawn of the broadcasting age as well as new ventures that operate on the leading edge of media. It includes some of the industry's most successful and popular brands and businesses: CBS Television Network, CBS News and Stations, CBS Sports, CBS Studios, CBS Media Ventures and CBS digital properties.
Responsibilities and Overview:
We're seeking a Senior Counsel to join our CBS Network law department! You will provide legal support and expertise primarily in the areas of network licensing and network marketing! This is a hybrid–remote position with the flexibility of working partly in the office (Hollywood, Los Angeles) at least 2 days per week, and partly from home on the other days of the week.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Draft and negotiate agreements, including (1) license agreements for scripted series and live events/specials; (2) complex license agreements with third–party streamers (e.g., Netflix, Disney+, etc.); (3) talent and staff deals for late–night shows; (4) podcast license agreements.
- Draft co–production, and production services agreements
- Negotiate, draft, and review various agreements for the CBS Marketing and Photo Departments, including vendor, content licensing, and production agreements relating to the creation of promotional content for use on multiple platforms
- Provide timely and accurate advice on deals, contract interpretation, risk management, rights analysis, etc.
- Advise on copyright and trademark issues, right of privacy, and right of publicity matters relating to marketing promotions
- Collaborate with Senior Executives, other legal teams, and management partners across Paramount Global, including Business Affairs, Music, Intellectual Property, Labor Relations, Labor and Employment, Distribution, Risk Management, Finance, Participations, and Tax
- Clearly communicate legal advice, strategy, and risk analysis to all individuals of varying levels throughout the organization
- Develop subject matter expertise in new and emerging production, exhibition, and marketing issues
- JD from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials
- Member in good standing of the California State Bar
- At least 5 years of experience practicing as an attorney at a leading law firm in the area of transactional law, or in–house at an entertainment/media company
- Strong contract drafting, legal writing, research, and analytical skills
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex agreements
- Excellent communication (written, verbal, and presentation) and interpersonal skills and the ability to work and communicate effectively with executives and other levels of management
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem–solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation, and excellence
- Ability to build and maintain relationships within Paramount Global
- Self–motivated, and decisive, with the ability to work both independently and support a team
- Ability to work well under pressure and effectively manage competing priorities in a time–sensitive environment
- Good judgment and ability to adapt to changing or opposing demands
- Working knowledge of copyright and intellectual property law, preferred
Hiring Salary Range: $170,000 – $190,000. The hiring salary range for this position applies to California, New York City, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job–related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is bonus eligible.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on–screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling or by sending an email to . Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.