Associate General Counsel, naviHealth - Remote
- UnitedHealth Group
- Mar 23, 2023
- Mar 29, 2023
- Contract Type
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Here, you will find a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, talented peers, comprehensive benefits and career development opportunities. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as you help us advance health equity on a global scale. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to work remotely from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Execute delivery of legal services and related support to naviHealth's health plan and Value Based Care ("VBC") lines of business, including but not limited to managing negotiation of commercial contracts, licensing and regulatory matters, intellectual property rights, providing compliance support, making contractual interpretation, advising on risk, etc.
- Work in concert with Finance and National and Strategic Accounts representatives to negotiate and foster client and other strategic relationships, including but not limited to health plan agreements, ACO agreements, DCE agreements and other VBC client arrangements
- Counsel senior management on strategic business initiatives
- Proactively identify and resolve legal matters across the organization with attention to clinical, technological and other operational workstreams
- Address legal queries and issues from business teams across the company with a focus on regulatory compliance, clinical and technological operations, and related customer inquiries and challenges
- Assist with regulatory responses for customers
- Assist with audit responses
- Support key areas for regulatory advocacy
- Develop and refine company policy and position on legal issues
- Develop best practices for addressing emerging legal and business risks. Support the development and delivery of new products and service lines with particular attention to compliant technological operations and designs that support delivery of those products and services
- Review and approve marketing materials to be published to internal and external audiences
- Work alongside compliance and information security departments to address contractual obligations and responsibilities
- Provide supervision to outside lawyers hired to assist the corporation with their specialized legal services
- Assist with research and interpretation of state and federal law regarding licensure requirements including, but not limited to, utilization review entities/agents and medical director or clinical peer review licensure (in the context of utilization review), information privacy, information security, AKS, TCPA, and the like
- Coordinate with business stakeholders and subject matter experts to assess and collect licensure application materials; Lead and oversee submission of licensure applications, as appropriate
- Advise company managers and leaders as to options that support compliance with rules and regulations, particularly as they relate to technology, including appropriate data use and disclosure
- Review government reports as needed
- Work frequently as a liaison between legal and compliance/finance/clinical operations/information security and other departments
- Collaborate with colleagues across naviHealth, Home & Community, Optum and UnitedHealth Group
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or requested
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- J.D. degree and current license to practice law
- 5+ years of comparable in–house or law firm experience
- In–depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategies and objectives
- Proven background on corporate and healthcare law
- Proven advanced negotiation skills
- Proven excellent communication, critical thinking, judgment and analytical skills
- Demonstrated high degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to work and thrive in a fast–paced, rapid growth environment
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain rapport with superiors, peers, subordinates and external company contacts
- Demonstrated ability to be comfortable with taking ownership and accountability for projects
- Solid technical skills (comfort with computer and Microsoft programs is an absolute requirement)
- 7+ years of comparable in–house or law firm experience
- Experience with regulatory and licensing agencies
- Experience with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, innovative healthcare payment and service delivery models
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high–performing teams to help solve important challenges.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York, Rhode Island, or Washington Residents Only: The salary range for California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New York, Rhode Island or Washington residents is $118,000 to $226,800. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far–reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
•All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes – an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug–free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.