- Mar 23, 2023
- Mar 29, 2023
- Contract Type
Join our Core Business Services (CBS) team and you will help support the important business enablement functions that keep our organization running strong. As a CBS professional, you will work across teams to provide the knowledge, resources and tools that help EY deliver exceptional quality service to our clients, win in the marketplace and support EY's growth and profitability. Major teams within CBS include Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources, Enterprise Support Services, Brand Marketing and Communications, Business Development, Knowledge and Risk Management.
Join our Legal team and you will help provide legal advice to mitigate our business risk as we achieve our commercial goals in a complex environment.
With so many offerings, you have the opportunity to develop your career through a broad scope of engagements, mentoring and formal learning. That's how we develop outstanding leaders who team to deliver on our promises to all of our stakeholders, and in so doing, play a critical role in building a better working world for our people, for our clients and for our communities. Sound interesting? Well, this is just the beginning. Because whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
The Legal Assistant–Contracts/Transactions is responsible for assisting the firm's attorneys within the General Counsel's Office (GCO) in various administrative and para–professional tasks related to corporate governance, the evaluation of transactions, protection of firm assets (particularly patents), negotiation of contracts and provision of legal guidance to the firm's leaders and business teams. Although no prior legal experience is necessary, this position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, organization, critical thinking ability, and an active, inquisitive mind. Duties include (but are not limited to) reviewing, analyzing, drafting and editing documents, performing research, assisting attorneys with various legal and governance functions, coordinating matters relating to asset protection and communicating the firm's legal position internally within the firm, as well as to the firm's clients and other third parties. Paralegals at EY have the unique opportunity to develop an extensive and valuable understanding of corporate and commercial law at a prominent professional services firm.
- Support GCO's governance practice group by maintaining corporate secretarial records, preparing governmental filings and responding to requests for information
- Perform legal and non–legal research, including with respect to applicable state, federal and international privacy laws and regulations
- Undertake ad–hoc projects to facilitate transactions being evaluated by the firm and agreements to which the firm is a party
- Help implement legal risk management and other processes to enable the quality delivery of legal advice and services to the firm's business teams and leaders
- Assist attorneys in reviewing, editing, and negotiating non–disclosure agreements, data processing agreements, business associate agreements, non–reliance letters, and other agreements
- Participate in GCO privacy team meetings and training sessions and work with other GCO privacy attorneys to update templates, policies and contracting procedures
- Work with attorneys to administer the organization's patent portfolio, as well as prepare and maintain copyright and trademark registrations
- Apply standard provisions from firm contract templates to commercial agreements
- Understand and communicate firm policies and positions on various issues relating to the negotiation of commercial agreements
- Communicate with firm personnel, external clients, vendors and other third parties
- Serve as initial GCO point of contact for certain categories of requests from business teams
- Track agreement progress, internal firm approvals and status
To qualify, candidates must have:
- Bachelor's degree and record of exceptional academic performance
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; should be able to discuss complex topics in an articulate and thoughtful manner
- Outgoing personality with excellent interpersonal skills; ability to have frequent, effective interactions with wide array of firm personnel
- Willingness to take initiative; be highly motivated and ambitious
- Strong critical thinking skills and analytical ability; possess an inquisitive nature
- Proficiency with common computer applications (i.e., Microsoft Word, Outlook, SharePoint, Excel, PowerPoint) 0–4 years of work experience (internships included)
- Continuous learning: You'll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We'll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We'll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You'll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.