AGC or Sr Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs (Content Distribution)
Roku is the TV streaming platform in the US, and we've set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable – and valued – contribution. We're a fast–growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.About the role
Roku, Inc. is seeking an experienced attorney to join its legal team. This position, based either in Roku's Santa Monica or New York City office, will provide legal support to Roku's Content Acquisition and Distribution teams, with an emphasis on distribution of third–party applications via the Roku platform and premium subscription services via The Roku Channel, as well as counseling on content operations, data, advertising support and product development. The position will help lead and execute commercial agreements, from providing preliminary advice, to structuring, drafting and negotiating contracts. The position will report to the Sr. Director, Business and Legal Affairs (Content Acquisition & Distribution).
The successful candidate must be self–motivated, well–organized and detail–oriented, with a proven ability to draft agreements from scratch and handle multiple, time–sensitive and complex matters simultaneously, independently and with minimalsupervision. This is an amazing opportunity to play a key role in supporting the company's rapid growth.
For California Only – The estimated annual salary for this position is between $223,000 and $429,000 annually.
Compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, certifications, and specific geographical location.
This role is eligible for health insurance, equity awards, life insurance, disability benefits, parental leave, wellness benefits, and paid time off.What you'll be doing
- Draft and negotiate agreements with application developers and content publishers for distribution of third–party applications on the Roku platform.
- Draft and negotiate OTT licensing and distribution agreements with providers of subscription services, for exploitation through The Roku Channel.
- Draft and negotiate advertising terms with ad–supported streaming service providers.
- Draft and maintain click–through license and distribution agreements.
- Advise the Content Acquisition and Distribution teams on content–related matters and support cross–departmental collaboration.
- Advise on legal matters arising from the development of new features for content delivery and content monetization on the Roku Channel and platform.
- Collaborate with cross–functional teams to support the growth and expansion of the Roku Channel, including Finance, Ad Tech and Content Security.
- Support colleagues in Legal (including by working with outside counsel) with respect to the assessment of content–related regulations and best practices.
- 7+ years of transactional legal experience at a law firm and/or a corporate legal department (and preferably a digital media or technology company), with an emphasis on drafting and negotiating content licensing and digital distribution transactions.
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating digital media and technology agreements for ad–supported, transactional and subscription services, with a detailed working knowledge of applicable commercial deal structures and, ideally, familiarity with the video advertising technology ecosystem.
- Prior experience with intellectual property, data privacy and security issues in the context of digital media and technology transactions, and familiarity with the relevant business terms and structures.
- Ability to thrive in a fast–paced environment, utilizing effective organizational skills to prioritize and manage aggressive deadlines for multiple simultaneous projects for multiple stakeholders. Successful experience working with a high–growth or startup media or technology company is a plus.
- Ability to dynamically assess risk and determine priorities based on the evolving needs of the business, and to provide practical, risk–appropriate solutions combining expert legal judgment with detailed product knowledge.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross–department, cross–functional role, exercising leadership as needed to create legal structures for new service and product initiatives.
- Ability to think clearly and succinctly, and to cogently articulate a negotiating position, as well as to draft contracts in clear, concise language.
- Bachelor's degree and a Juris Doctorate degree from a U.S. accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of California or New York.
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast–paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We're independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem–solvers, which itself is a two–part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit .