Intellectual Property Paralegal (patent prosecution)
- MERCHANT & GOULD PC
- May 13, 2023
- Jun 02, 2023
- Contract Type
Merchant & Gould, one of the nation's premier intellectual property law firms, is seeking an Intellectual Property Paralegal. This position may be located in any of our office locations. The salary range for this position is $55,000 – 85,000.
Summary of Position (hybrid):
Assists in the preparation and filing of design patent, and utility patent applications in the United States.
- Establishes and maintains patent files: open files, prepares formal documents for filing, including, abstracts, drawings and preliminary amendments.
- Reviews all incoming correspondence from foreign associates for essential docketing and for non–substantive responses due in connection with filing of applications.
- Maintains and updates docket with respect to new filings.
- Maintains docket of due dates for patent applications and is responsible for monitoring, resolving, and clearing those dates.
- Assists attorney in on–going procedural aspects of prosecution.
- As appropriate, prepares estimates of filing and prosecution costs.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationship with attorneys and staff, but is not assigned to any single attorney. Will work as a team member with other IP Paralegals to establish back–up and workflow and will have joint responsibility for establishing quality control measures.
- Other tasks and projects as may be assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- BA degree and paralegal certificate or equivalent experience with some relevant work experience and a minimum of 3 years on–the–job experience with U.S. patent prosecution filing.
- Ability to work independently and meet critical deadlines under supervision of attorney.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to concentrate on detailed work for up to 80% of worktime.
- Ability to work comfortable with advanced computer software (after training) and use effectively use and maintain a computer data base.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions from a diverse group, including clients (usually in writing), attorneys and others, and to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Work requires a high level of mental effort and stress while organizing and maintaining multiple cases with the help of a computer data base. High level of responsibility, dedication, and accuracy required.
- Work on rare occasions requires more than 37.5 hours per week to perform essential duties of the job; may occasionally require irregular hours.
- Regular attendance at work.
We are equally committed to providing competitive, affordable health and wellness benefits to help take care of yourself and your family, including: a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package that includes employee medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D insurance, short– and long–term disability, 401(k) match, and ten firm holidays.
To be considered, please apply online at Career Opportunities (). You will need to provide a resume and professional references.
Merchant & Gould provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. We welcome candidates with disabilities. If you need any accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Department at 1–.
Powered by JazzHR