Sr Contracts Manager and Legal Counsel
- Spruce Technology, Inc.
- May 21, 2023
- Jun 18, 2023
- Contract Type
Spruce Technology is a full–service IT consultancy firm providing cutting–edge solutions for our clients across the public and commercial sectors. Since 2006, Spruce has been solving problems by building scalable systems and fortifying security for clients around the world, combining intellect and ingenuity to drive progress. As a leader in delivering results through our multifaceted approach to IT consulting, Spruce specializes in areas such as cybersecurity, digital experiences, and data services.
About the role
The Senior Contracts Manager and Legal Counsel will report to a member of the Executive Team, with the possibility of reporting to a General Counsel in the future, and will collaborate with members of the Finance, Proposals, Business Development, Recruiting, HR and Professional Services teams. This individual will have a diverse background and a combination of legal and business acumen, with experience in the technology industry and/or government contracting preferred. It is an exciting time to join Spruce and our growing Contracts department, where you will have a significant impact on the company's risk management and contracts–related business processes.
We are searching for a professional who can take the lead on contract drafting and negotiations, compliance, employment matters, intellectual property protections, and pre–litigation risk management, liaising with outside specialists as needed. Relevant background may include contract law, IP law, tax law, and employment law. The ideal candidate must be experienced, energetic, and eager to contribute in a fast–paced, high–growth environment. It will be essential to understand or learn the professional services business model, the unique legal considerations relevant to technology firms, and the interaction of legal advice and business strategy.
The Senior Contracts Manager and Legal Counsel will be responsible for:
- Playing a hands–on role in preparing, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of corporate contract agreements with clients, vendors, and partners as needed. These will include Master Services Agreements, Vendor Agreements, Teaming Agreements, Non–Disclosure Agreements, Reseller Agreements, Distributor Agreements, a variety of contracting agreements with federal, state, and local government clients, Purchase Orders and Scopes of Work/Services.
- Supervising the Contracts team, developing their capabilities further, and delegating work to them as appropriate
- Providing practical and actionable counsel to business teams–including management and other departments–on a range of legal topics, including commercial law, risks, intellectual property, corporate governance, data privacy, and other legal and regulatory areas.
- Using good judgement and experience to evaluate contract risk, resolve complex contracts and compliance challenges within established risk guidelines, and escalating questions to senior management when necessary.
- Implementing and enforcing standards for contract review, preparation, and processing, including negotiation guidelines, new standard form contracts/templates, and timelines for processing.
- Interfacing with both clients and internal departments to negotiate or communicate contract information.
- Leading the Contracts team to refine policies and best practices in the areas of contract and compliance, leveraging and optimizing existing contracts management tools and templates.
- Monitor, analyze and provide guidance on evolving laws, rules, regulations, and trends in the IT Services space.
- JD from a law school and New York or New Jersey bar license (or willingness to obtain NY and/or NJ bar license)
- 5+ years' experience counseling business stakeholders on a variety of commercial matters (as either in house or outside counsel), with at least two years' experience as counsel to a technology firm, a start–up, or a similarly dynamic environment
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and associated privacy implications preferred.
- Willingness to make decisive recommendations that balance legal guidance with the company's strategic goals.
- Ability to handle complex situations under pressure.
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently and as part of a team, and excellent organizational skills.
- Desire to learn and adapt to new challenges.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with government contracting is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, commitment to client service, and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including business team members across the Company and outside vendors and consultants.
- Ability to understand and clearly explain risk in various scenarios.
- Ability to handle privileged, confidential, and sensitive information in an appropriate and professional manner.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Spruce Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. There is no discrimination against applicants because of their age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, or sexual orientation. All hiring decisions are made without regard to these and any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.