Associate General Counsel, IP & Litigation
- Verkada Inc.
- San Mateo
- May 23, 2023
- Jun 20, 2023
- Contract Type
Who We Are
Verkada is the largest cloud–based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers seven product lines – video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, visitor management, mailroom management and intercoms – integrated with a single cloud–based software platform.
Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real–time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies.
Founded in 2016 with more than $360M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 14 offices across three continents, 1,500+ full–time employees and 15,700+ customers across 70+ countries, including 43 companies in the Fortune 500.
About the Role
This is a unique opportunity to join Verkada's legal team as its first and top intellectual property and litigation counsel. You will own both Verkada's global patent program and its litigation and regulatory docket, responsible for building and protecting its intellectual property portfolios (with a focus on patents) as well as for overseeing all litigation and regulatory matters. You will get to own and build out Verkada's Global Patent Program from the ground up and make an impact from day one. This is a highly collaborative role in which you will work with various cross functional teams across the organization to manage and protect the company's intellectual property. You will report to Verkada's General Counsel but you'll be expected to directly advise Verkada's leadership team on all things related to intellectual property and litigation involving the company. You will be part of company leadership and play a significant role in shaping the direction of the business. The ideal candidate will be able to hit the ground running.What You'll Be Expected To Do
- Build and then lead Verkada's intellectual property and litigation functions
- Advise company's leadership, business teams, and engineering teams on all patent related matters, including prosecution, acquisition, and litigation
- Review inventor disclosures, patent acquisition opportunities, business needs and plans in order to advise the company on how to best build its portfolio in a cost–efficient manner
- Further develop, maintain, and protect Verkada's other intellectual property assets, including trademarks, copyrights, and trade secretsIdentify, risk–assess, and manage inbound licensing demands and outbound patent licensing opportunities
- Defend the company against claims of intellectual property infringement (especially patent infringement claims)
- Enforce Verkada's intellectual property rights against any infringing third parties
- Evaluate and advise on intellectual property risks and opportunities in M&A transactions and other strategic initiatives, including IP M&A due diligence
- Advise Verkada's Marketing and Communications teams on intellectual property and litigation related issues involving marketing materials, press releases, and other published materials
- Advise Verkada's business and engineering teams on other intellectual property matters, such as those related to copyrights, open source software, trademarks, designs, etc.
- Lead Verkada's response to all legal claims asserted by third parties in U.S. federal and state courts international venues and other legal proceedings
- Lead Verkada's response to all regulatory inquiries, subpoenas, and other legal proceedings regarding all aspects of the company's business
- Oversee any offensive litigation claims that Verkada must assert to protects its legal rights
- Advise Verkada's leadership and business and engineering teams on how best to mitigate against litigation and regulatory risks, including with new product offerings and global expansion
- J.D. degree from an ABA–approved law schoolRegistration with the USPTO as a patent attorney
- A technical background in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or physics coupled with relevant intellectual property experience10+ years of relevant legal experience focused on intellectual property, litigation, and regulatory matters (preferably with at least 2 years of in–house counsel experience at a technology company)
- Expertise in developing, acquiring, maintaining, and protecting all types of intellectual property assets
- Expertise in building and protecting a global patent portfolio, including by prosecution and acquisition (preferably for both hardware and software product offerings)
- Expertise advising clients in all sorts of litigation matters, including IP litigation, class action lawsuits, commercial litigation, employment litigation, and regulatory investigations and enforcement actions
- Experience advising multinational, complex fast–growing global companies on intellectual property and litigation matters
US Employee Benefits
Verkada is committed to investing in the holistic health and wellbeing of all employees and their families. Our benefits and perks programs include, but are not limited to:
• Healthcare programs that can be tailored to meet the personal health and financial well–being needs – Premiums are 100% covered for the employee under most plans and 80% for family premiums
• Nationwide medical, vision and dental coverage
• Health Saving Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) with tax saving options
• Expanded mental health support
• Paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
• Time off to relax and recharge through our paid holidays, firmwide extended holidays, flexible PTO and personal sick time
• Professional development stipend
• Wellness/fitness benefits
• Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
Verkada Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, Verkada is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals. All applicants for positions at Verkada will be treated without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.