Chinese Fluent Associate, Trademarks
City/Location: Anywhere, US
Do you want to work remotely and be a part of a different kind of law firm? Coates IP provides legal services with a strong in-house perspective. The firm’s goal is to provide efficient and practical advice through the lens of the business, which is strongly preferred from in-house teams, while also providing work product that is informed by strong law firm experience.
With a client base ranging from Fortune 100 companies to small start-ups, Coates IP helps solve a wide range of intellectual property challenges. With a strong focus on trademarks, copyrights and domain names, the firm also assists in other areas of intellectual property, marketing, technology and privacy law.
Coates IP offers flexible hours, and remote work environments. It believes in embracing a strong sense of ownership in an environment where freedom and responsibility are equally valued. There is no dress code, no commute, and no set hours. We invest in ourselves as much as our clients. We think differently about problems, no matter whether it’s our clients’ issues, or our perspective on overhead and fee arrangements.
We’re seeking an experienced associate who is fluent in Chinese and English to support our growing stable of Chinese clients, our work with our partner Chinese firms, as well as work in the US and globally. Preference is for the candidate to have some in house legal experience and a familiarity with technology, entertainment, gaming and/or social media.
This role will have broad responsibility with respect to assisting client trademark, copyright, and domain portfolios – including trademark clearance, prosecution, and enforcement. Candidates should have experience in responding to office actions, clearance searches and analysis, foreign filings, US and foreign oppositions/cancellations, and drafting license and settlement agreements. Attention to detail, the ability to work well in a group, as well as the ability to work independently, are important characteristics.
The candidate must have an expert eye for detail, be a quick learner, problem solver, able to quickly adapt, be a business-oriented creative thinker, and challenge long- standing assumptions about how to manage IP. You are adept at pragmatically analyzing risk, and you confidently communicate.
· 3+ years of trademark/IP experience, but many more is preferred, as well as some in house experience.
· Fluency in written and spoken Chinese and English.
· US law degree and barred in at least one state.
· Strong in-house perspective with respect to client communication and problem solving.
· Ability to work remotely and independently with a client base around the world, while working closely with supervising partners.
· Flexible outlook with respect to tackling new issues and building process.
· Management of global trademark portfolios, including trademark prosecution, oppositions, and online brand enforcement.
· Familiarity with domain names, online platforms, and the rights protection mechanisms and enforcement strategies around them.
· Trademark searching and analysis experience, utilizing Saegis or equivalent programs.
· Experience with intellectual property systems and programs.
· Personality and experiences outside of law are a plus.
How to apply: Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org