Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life–changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people's health. We're always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Employer of Choice:
Through numerous local, national and international accolades, Abbott is regarded as an employer of choice for our commitment to workplace excellence. Our employees are given the tools to succeed, lead and grow, with challenging opportunities and work that makes a difference. Through our diverse healthcare businesses, we connect people, experiences and growth in ways that no other company can. Discover a world of opportunities at Abbott.
Who We Are:
- We are legal professionals and business partners, and we use our expertise and judgment to guide Abbott's businesses through the challenges that come with operating in complex global environments.
What We Offer:
- Abbott Legal provides meaningful and challenging work on a global scale. We are a dynamic organization who develops our employees to meet the evolving needs of the company.
How We Work:
- We are collaborative, curious, and pragmatic. We value diversity of background, experience, and thought in our teams. We are expected to be holistic thinkers who see the big picture, and make thoughtful, informed decisions.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You'll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit – an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor's degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
Abbott in the Twin Cities metro area of Minnesota currently has an opportunity for a Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property.
Abbott Medical Devices is expanding our highly effective team and is seeking a Senior Counsel for its Structural Heart business. The position will take a team–oriented approach to managing IP issues by partnering with our Operating Divisions. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing and directing a diversity of intellectual property issues within our Structural Heart business. We are looking for an individual who aspires to make valuable IP contributions to the broader organization.
What You'll Work On
The successful candidate will possess strong knowledge of patent law, patent prosecution and have a history of success advising clients on intellectual property issues, building competitive IP portfolios and clearing products in the Medical Devices or similar space. A working knowledge of patent law in major jurisdictions outside the U.S., experience with adversarial PTO proceedings, patent litigation experience and transactional experience are preferred.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- In close collaboration with various levels of the Operating Division, strategically developing our worldwide patent portfolio, including directing and managing domestic and OUS outside counsel to prepare and prosecute patent applications that are aligned with strategic objectives.
- Review outside counsel patent prosecution and other patent–related work product to ensure the methodology, strategy and costs meet Abbott's expectation.
- Manage and direct pipeline portfolio by soliciting/developing invention disclosures from R&D groups, conducting inventor interviews and presenting disclosures at cross functional patent committee meetings to align future filings with strategic direction.
- Conduct in–depth analyses of and report on competitor products and IP portfolios.
- Conduct employee training on protecting Abbott innovations, developing intellectual property assets and best practices for maintaining confidential business information.
- Assist internal and external litigation counsel on IP litigation matters.
- Conduct due diligence on potential mergers, acquisitions and investment opportunities.
- Collaborate with commercial legal counsel, including preparing and reviewing license agreements, various standard agreements and counseling the Operating Divisions regarding IP transactional matters.
- Provide advice and strategic options for marketing and promotional material; and
- Such other tasks and responsibilities as requested by your supervisor.
Location of Position:
- Twin Cities region of Minnesota
Critical Success Factors:
- Sound Judgment: Understands how assigned responsibilities advance Abbott's business objectives and is able to timely/ appropriately elevate practical, risk–balanced, actionable advice, based upon a broad understanding of the scope of an issue, taking full advantage of internal networks and external intelligence.
- Resourceful: Firm understanding of available legal, functional, and business resources and ability to integrate information from several sources to achieve business results, including breaking down boundaries to create alignment as necessary, in a complex, global, matrixed environment.
- Anticipation: Curious, big–picture thinker, who anticipates changes in law, enforcement, and/or business objectives and adapts approach as necessary to manage risks effectively and mitigate issues before they arise.
- Influencing Skills: Build strong relationships with business partners to tactfully influence and gain their support to drive desired outcomes.
- 7+ years of experience practicing patent prosecution in a law firm or a corporation, medical device background is strongly preferred
- Ability to handle multiple projects in fast–paced environment and exercise sound commercial and legal judgment
- In addition to top–notch legal skills and a strong ethical center, excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, highly effective communication, and organizational skills
- JD from an accredited law school, admitted to and in good standing with (i) a U.S. state bar and (ii) the USPTO
Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives:
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at , on Facebook at and on