Assistant General Counsel
We're powering a cleaner, brighter future.
Exelon is leading the energy transformation, and we're calling all problem solvers, innovators, community builders and change makers. Work with us to deliver solutions that make our diverse cities and communities stronger, healthier and more resilient.
We're powered by purpose–driven people like you who believe in being inclusive and creative, and value safety, innovation, integrity and community service. We are a Fortune 200 company, 19,000 colleagues strong serving more than 10 million customers at six energy companies Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE), Commonwealth Edison (ComEd), Delmarva Power & Light (DPL), PECO Energy Company (PECO), and Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco).
In our relentless pursuit of excellence, we elevate diverse voices, fresh perspectives and bold thinking. And since we know transforming the future of energy is hard work, we provide competitive compensation, incentives, excellent benefits and the opportunity to build a rewarding career.
Are you in?
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
A highly qualified attorney to advise and support complex innovation, intellectual property, and related commercial legal matters on behalf of Exelon and its operating companies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Under minimal supervision, advise and support the innovation, intellectual property, and related commercial activities of the Company and its affiliates; evaluate both legal and business risks and advises clients accordingly.
- Review and draft commercial agreements, including NDAs, licensing and sublicensing agreements, IP and invention assignment agreements, commercialization agreements, joint development agreements, R&D agreements, data transfer agreements, collaboration agreements, strategic alliances, MOUs, government grants and contracts, and technology transfer agreements.
- Manage the Company's intellectual property portfolio including evaluating new applications and addressing infringement, phishing and scam issues.
- Prepare and manage budgets for all matters involving outside counsel and manage outside counsel engagement.
- Projects and duties as assigned.
- Works independently advising and supporting Exelon and its operating companies on complex innovation, intellectual property, and related commercial matters.
- Demonstrates ability to work directly with various types of business clients including innovators, entrepreneurs, technologists, developers, and engineers.
- Demonstrates superior judgment in the legal and business context.
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to solve complex, difficult problems and be very pro–active in doing so.
- An LLB or JD from an accredited law school and be licensed to practice law in Illinois, Maryland, Pennsylvania, or Washington D.C.
- At least 5 – 8 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years of experience in commercial contracts and intellectual property areas of law
- Requires excellent legal analytical and drafting abilities and ongoing, extensive knowledge of intellectual property law.
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; to read and analyze legal materials and other data; to work in stressful conditions under time deadlines; and to provide realistic risk assessments and practical advice to clients.
Knowledge of DOE grants and government contracting.
The preceding position description is intended to provide the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to be a detailed description of the position or a comprehensive listing of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position, nor is it intended to indicate the exact amounts of time an individual will perform various position duties.