Associate Legal Counsel
Reporting to the Director, Legal Services, the Associate Legal Counsel will work as a member of the Legal Services Department and play a critical role in assisting in the negotiation and closure of company business transactions. Working with business teams, the Associate Legal Counsel supports the planning, evaluation, review, drafting, and negotiation of a variety of technology and commercial agreements with customers, under the supervision of the Director, Legal Services. The candidate must have prior experience with structuring technology transactions, negotiating commercial contracts, an understanding of legal and business risk issues, and a working knowledge of IP licensing matters. The Associate Legal Counsel will work with appropriate supervision. The candidate must have 3 to 5 years of relevant previous experience.Location: Dulles, VA., this is currently a hybrid role requiring on site up to 2 days per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the Legal Services Department to generate, review, analyze, interpret, modify & negotiate terms and conditions of various contractual arrangements for both domestic and international business initiated by third parties for protection of the company's interests, including but not limited to:
- product sales agreements, License Agreements, Hosted Service Agreements, product development agreements, partner alliances and other collaboration agreements, RFPs, NDAs, MOUs, TAs, Purchase Agreements, OEM and Reseller Agreements, Vendor Agreements, equipment and software maintenance and service agreements, Consulting Agreements, and other required and relevant commercial transaction documents, including preparation of amendments to existing contracts.
- Provide legal analysis and advice to members of senior management team on contract matters.
- Assist in the interface with global business teams to understand key IP and commercial requirements and ensure that contractual terms comply with management priorities and company legal and business policies and procedures.
- Assist in employee training of Corporate Contract Policy and contract management tools and transfer of know–how and best practices to staff.
- Three (3) to five (5) years direct hands–on experience structuring, drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of technology transactions to achieve business objectives and experience in counseling on IP matters related to sales of software, including experience gained in–house and/or at a major law firm. Experience successfully leading/closing customer facing technology transactions required.
- Active state bar membership, JD Degree.
- Experience providing transactional support for intellectual property and information technology agreements, including IP licenses, software and other technology agreements.
- IP prosecution familiarity, a plus.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to work effectively in a fast–paced environment. Detail–oriented and able to manage multiple transactions and projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to succinctly communicate legal subject matter to non–attorneys.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; highly collaborative, team environment.
- Excellent business judgment, ability to think strategically and give practical advice independently.
- Must be able to contribute to successful development and implementation of departmental initiatives.
- Proactive and takes initiative.