Associate Patent Agent- Life Sciences
FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific, Inc., is a worldwide leader in the innovation and manufacture of cell culture media, reagents, and medical devices for researchers and clinicians. The company provides unrivaled service and quality to scientists working in biopharmaceuticals, cell therapy, and regenerative medicine, assisted reproductive technology and cytogenetics, and industrial cell culture for the large–scale production of biotherapeutics and vaccines. FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific adheres to both ISO and FDA regulations and operates dual cGMP manufacturing facilities in California, USA, and Tokyo, Japan. The company's consultative philosophy combined with expertise in cell culture and compliance provides customers with unique capabilities and support. For over 50 years, FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific has remained uniquely flexible and focused on media while becoming a strategic global leader in media products and services. FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific, Inc. is a subsidiary of FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation reporting to FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation.
We are hiring an Associate Patent Agent. Supporting FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific's patent applications, searching prior arts for freedom–to–operate and patentability analyses, and ensuring our Company's existing patents are not infringed upon
- Coordination of Patent Application Activity
- Perform patent searches for clearance/non–infringement and analysis
- Coordinate patent clearances; review new features and new technologies or methods to determine criteria of patent clearance, and collaborate with corporate legal department and outside patent counsel as necessary
- Coordinate with corporate legal department regarding patent filings and office actions and work with outside patent counsel as necessary.
- Maintain patent assessment database / system management; including surveillance and clearance activities
- Maintain FISI database of patents and patent applications and assist the distribution of employee patent awards.
- Act as Project Leader to identify and review potentially patentable features of new products
- Work closely with technical personnel to review and evaluate intellectual properties such as patents, trade secrets, and assist in the preparation of reports, posters, oral presentations.
- Patent education; support HLUS patent training and education to technical staff as necessary
- Experience/ Education:
- Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, or Ph.D. in Life Science, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Engineering, or equivalent
- Bachelor's degree with at least 5 years, or Master's degree with at least 2 years, of Intellectual Property (IP) experience in–house at a life sciences, medical device, biotechnology, diagnostic, pharmaceutical, law firm or in a similar capacity
- Patent Agent registered with USPTO is a plus
- Experience in medical device is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with professional presence
Effective communicator and capable of initiating and leading discussions with the R&D group and other technical people and mine and draw out invention disclosures
- Conduct prior art searches for patentability, surveillance and freedom to operate analyses
- Analyze patent claims and documents for clearance and patentability purposes
- Prepare patent applications
- Work with technical staff to prepare invention disclosures and assist with patent prosecution matters
- Carry out patent mining activities with business and project teams to identify and articulate opportunities for patent protection
- Serve as a resource on patent matters
- Familiar with the medical device and ultrasound devices
- Proficiency with U.S. Patent Office Electronic Business Center systems (EFS Web and PAIR)
For California, the base salary range for this position is $67,000 to $155,000 annually. Compensation for the successful candidate will depend on various factors (e.g., qualifications, education, prior experience, location, etc.).
Fujifilm is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation, and any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
In the event that COVID–19 vaccine mandates issued by the federal government, or by state or local government become effective and enforceable, the Company will require that the successful candidate hired for positions covered under relevant government vaccine mandate(s) be fully vaccinated against COVID–19, absent being granted an accommodation due to medical or sincerely held religious belief or other legally required exemption. For all positions, the Company encourages vaccination against COVID–19 and may require that the successful candidate hired be willing to test for the COVID–19 virus periodically and wear a face covering indoors absent being granted an accommodation due to medical or sincerely held religious belief or other legally required exemption.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Fujifilm about this requisition. All resumes submitted by search firms'/employment agencies to any employee at Fujifilm via–email, the internet, or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Fujifilm, unless such search firms'/employment agencies were engaged by Fujifilm for this requisition and a valid agreement with Fujifilm is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Fujifilm agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.