Senior Counsel– London
We are looking for a senior lawyer to work in our London office who will report to the Head of Legal (EMEA) and will take the lead on a variety of projects relating to general corporate contracts (including employment agreements, recruiting agreements, confidentiality agreements, real estate leases, technology agreements and vendor agreements) and investment adviser–specific contracts (including investment management agreements, fund documents, investor agreements and trading agreements), intellectual property, data protection, regulatory developments and corporate governance. You will also manage a number of BAU processes, coordinate among various departments, senior management and third parties to manage projects, identify issues/respond to queries and escalate appropriately, as well as collaborating with others where needed in the information generation process, and conscientiously follow–through on work output.
What you'll do
- Provide general assistance with various legal matters for international offices, including employment, corporate, real estate and cosec
- Keep up to date with regulatory developments and understand their implications for the firm globally
- Draft and negotiate IMAs and portfolio manager employment agreements
- Prepare new employment agreements and other employee onboarding/offboarding documentation
- Work on marketing matters, including jurisdictional marketing analyses and review EMEA materials for capital development and investor relations
- Liaise with business representatives and legal/compliance colleagues and other control functions (e.g., operations, risk, tax, etc.) in EMEA and globally
- Play a key role in expansion projects, including new location regulation and set–up
What you'll bring
The successful candidate will be flexible, motivated, self–sufficient, organised and assertive; will actively take ownership of projects and functional areas; and will consistently demonstrate solid follow–through.
What you'll need:
- To be a qualified lawyer with experience at a law firm or investment fund of at least 5 years
- Experience in dealing with alternative investments would be helpful
- Diligent, detail oriented and quick learner
- Strong written communication skills
- Able to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Familiarity with investment management
- Experience with general commercial agreements
- Good understanding of UK financial services regulatory framework
- Working knowledge of UK employment law preferred but not necessary
The firm's ethos is embedded in our people. 'Talent is our strategy' is our mantra and drives how we approach all initiatives at the firm. We believe our success is because of our people, so putting our talent above all else is our top priority.
Schonfeld strives to create an environment where our people can thrive. We foster a teamwork–oriented, collaborative environment where ideas at any level are encouraged and shared. The development and advancement of our talent is honed through interactions with each other, learning & educational offerings, and through opportunities to make impactful contributions.
At Schonfeld, we strive to cultivate a sense of belonging throughout all of our employees with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at the forefront of this mission. As a firm we are committed to creating a hiring process which is not only fair, but also welcoming and supportive on a daily basis, our employees welcome diversity across identity, thought, people and views which serves as the foundation of our culture and success. You can learn more about our DEI initiatives here –
Who we are
Schonfeld Strategic Advisors is a multi–manager platform that invests its capital with internal and external portfolio managers, primarily on an exclusive or semi–exclusive basis, across four trading strategies: quantitative, fundamental equity, tactical and discretionary macro & fixed income. We have created a unique structure to provide global portfolio managers with autonomy, flexibility and support to best enable them to maximize the value of their businesses.
Over the last 35 years, Schonfeld has successfully capitalized on inefficiencies and opportunities within the equity markets. We have developed and invested heavily in proprietary technology, infrastructure and risk analytics. Our portfolio exposure has expanded across the Americas, EMEA and APAC as well as multiple asset classes and products.