Senior Corporate Counsel
Are you a dynamic individual, looking for opportunities beyond traditional legal practice? Are you a strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit, looking to get more out of your legal skills?
You could be part of a fast–growing, award–winning tech firm – which was recently named BC Company of the Year, in addition to being recognized as a "Leader" by two of the most influential global analysts in its industry.
New technologies are providing companies with more ways to communicate with customers, while creating a myriad of challenges along the way. And that's exactly what makes joining our Legal team – and Global Relay's larger business development team – exciting, challenging, and rewarding.
As an in–house lawyer at Global Relay, you will be immersing yourself in the hottest tech trends and issues of the day. Big data. Artificial Intelligence. Surveillance and cyber security. Privacy protection. Data sovereignty. And that's just for starters.
You will be involved in every major aspect of the business – not simply legal matters. You will help Global Relay forge new partnerships and grow its global distribution network. You will deal with issues related to compliance archiving, data protection, eDiscovery, and business continuity of highly regulated industries.
In the process, you will have the opportunity to work alongside Global Relay's other talented in–house lawyers, as well as seasoned tech vets and experienced business professionals in our seven offices across the globe. You will do business with our ever–growing customer base, which currently includes 22 of the world's largest banks, and enjoy travel opportunities to major financial centers like New York, London, and Chicago.
If you like the idea of working with an established leader in cloud–based archiving, messaging, and eDiscovery, we like the idea of meeting you.
- Review, negotiate, and draft corporate policies, customer agreements, partner agreements, non–disclosure agreements, and related business communications
- Work with Global Relay's internal Legal and Data Services/Audit/Compliance teams with respect to regulatory compliance, eDiscovery, data protection, and privacy issues for Global Relay's archiving customers of highly regulated industries with compliance requirements such as those governed by the SEC, FINRA, FCA (UK), GDPR (EU), SFC (Hong Kong) and IIROC (Canada)
- Advise internal teams on a broad spectrum of legal and business issues, including international data protection requirements, contractual commitments, industry–specific compliance obligations, intellectual property rights, and employment and human resources issues
- Provide commercial legal support to business teams to facilitate customer life cycle management, compliance and eDiscovery matters, business development strategies, marketing, and product/service design.
- Manage Global Relay's governance, compliance, privacy, risk management, and data sovereignty obligations
- Collaborate with the Data Services team and Global Relay's technical design teams to provide guidance on the design of eDiscovery review features and other similar legal workflows for Global Relay's product/service offerings
- Providing legal oversight of, and guidance to, the legal personnel at Global Relay on the Business Data Services teams
- Collaborating with, and providing guidance and mentorship to, the junior lawyers on Global Relay's legal team.
- Juris Doctor or LLB from an accredited law school
- Qualified to practice law in England and Wales, with a minimum of 8–10 years of relevant experience
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Effective analytical skills to balance pragmatic problem solving with risk management
- Effective communication skills to explain and advocate Global Relay's position to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- SaaS, licensing, telecommunications, and/or IP experience is a plus
- Privacy and data protection experience is a plus
- In–house and business experience a plus
- Intellectual curiosity, passion and integrity
- Strong work ethic with matching sense of humour