Lead Commercial Counsel
About the role
We are hiring a Commercial Counsel for our growing legal team. You will be a partner to the business on general commercial matters and will negotiate the contracts that contribute to Chime's success – from our biggest deals, to the bread and butter contracts that companies need to operate. You have outstanding professional judgment and excellent communication, interpersonal, negotiation and drafting skills. You have an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of a dynamic and creative business, are eager to work with cross–functional teams, have the flexibility to manage a wide range of projects with a wide variety of people, and are comfortable advising senior business leaders.
The base salary offered for this role and level of experience will begin at $168,570 and up to $238,900. Full–time employees are also eligible for a bonus, competitive equity package, and benefits. The actual base salary offered may be higher, depending on your location, skills, qualifications, and experience.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Work closely with the business to negotiate, draft and review a broad range of commercial agreements, including partnership, master services, nondisclosure, referral, licensing, professional services and other commercial agreements
- Master current processes, and assist in the creation and improvement of new forms and processes
- Work on enterprise–level strategic initiatives and partnerships
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships cross–functionally and within the legal team, including with subject matter experts in intellectual property, security, and privacy
- Escalate issues, as appropriate, to other legal team members and collaboratively share potential risks and proposals with the executive team
To thrive in this role, you have:
- A J.D. and active membership in at least one state bar
- 4–7 years of combined law firm, government and/or in–house experience
- Experience (and maybe even a strong fondness for) drafting, reviewing and negotiating various types of commercial agreements
- Practical business judgment and problem–solving skills to be able to quickly understand the business' needs and craft creative solutions
- A willingness to dig deep into the subject matter of an agreement that goes beyond proposing edits to legal language
- The ability to work collaboratively and develop positive relationships with internal partners and external stakeholders – with a sense of humor and resiliency, under tight deadlines, and while managing multiple priorities
- Familiarity with fintech, technology, banking, or financial services companies (a plus, but not a requirement)
A little about us
We created Chime because we believe everyone deserves financial peace of mind. By eliminating unnecessary fees and helping people grow their savings automatically, we've empowered millions of Americans to take control of their finances.
Chime is the largest and fastest–growing U.S. player in the challenger–banking space. Through our banking partners, we offer access to bank accounts with fee–free overdraft, provide members the chance to receive early access to their paychecks, help them improve their credit, and more!
We've built one of the most experienced leadership teams in Fintech and were recently valued at over $25.5B. We've raised over $1.7B in funding from leading investors including Sequoia Capital Global Equities, SoftBank Vision Fund 2, General Atlantic, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, DST, Coatue, Iconiq, Menlo Ventures and others.
What we offer