We are Iron Mountains, LLC. We develop a broad range of baby gear products from child safety seats to multi–mode strollers, travel beds to feeding solutions and beyond. Our specialized focus on merging industry–changing design with the highest quality material and state–of–the–art manufacturing processes allows each new product design to be precisely positioned to meet consumer, market, and retailer needs.
Nestled in scenic Berks County, PA, within a mile of turnpike exit 298 our office location promises the luxuries of a low–stress commute and a 360 view of nature.
Like our high–quality baby gear products, our health and welfare benefits are superior, boasting an onsite state–of–the–art gym facility coupled with a $0 Copay / $0 Deductible Medical & Prescription Plan and a 401(k) with 6% Employer Match.
Currently we are seeking a Patent Engineer to join our Product Development Team. The principal objective of the Patent Engineer is to assist in ensuring the capture and protection of both the company's existing intellectual property portfolio as well new intellectual property (IP) innovation. As such, this position may apply to an engineer with a strong interest in IP or a patent professional with an interest in supporting a research and development team.
The Patent Engineer will work onsite and closely with the Company, its US affiliates, and cross–functional teams, collaborating with colleagues and inventors, executive team members, and foreign legal counterparts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with research and development engineers to identify patentable inventions, participate in assessing potentially patentable inventions, and guide the patentability of inventions under review.
- Outline and prepare invention descriptions capturing all details, facts, and circumstances surrounding potentially patentable inventions, including working with existing computer–aided design (CAD) models to prepare snapshots of relevant parts, and developing new CAD models based on whiteboard ideas.
- Performs the necessary functions in the areas of concept creation, development, engineering, and documentation to take an idea into a product solution.
- Assist in the management of the company's IP portfolios, including assisting in the development of new IP and maintenance of the company's existing IP.
- Identify and mitigate risks associated with introducing new products, providing competitive intelligence via IP searches and monitoring.
- Perform prior art searches in support of landscape and freedom–to–operate assessments for new products.
- Educate internal personnel on competitive patent landscapes.
- Effectively build relationships with internal and external counsel and collaborators; review IP strategies prepared by internal and external legal counsel, communicate IP strategies to leadership teams.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the company's current and planned products, competitors, and markets and keep abreast of developing legal trends and IP development in the child product field.
This position description is intended to provide a summary of the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities of this position and shall not be considered an exhaustive listing of all work requirements.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
Education & Experience
- Minimum BS in Engineering (e.g., mechanical engineering, materials science) or related field (e.g., physics, industrial design).
- One (1) to three (3) years of mechanical or design engineering, CAD experience.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience within the IP environment, preferred.
- Experience with product development (consumer mechanical products a plus) and maintaining a strong knowledge of product lines and associated industry technologies.
- Experience with intellectual property preferred (inventorship, review, interpretation, patent claims, and families).
- Familiarity with patent docketing systems and patent file management systems.
- Solid research experience (prior art searches/freedom to operate assessments a plus)
Skills & Competencies
- Impeccable attention to detail, with outstanding writing and analytical skills.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to multi–task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously while remaining flexible and prioritizing responsibilities.
- Excellent problem–solving skills and ability to work with others to resolve conflict and meet objectives.
- Outstanding listening and communication skills; adept at communicating concepts, and technical terminology.
- Team–oriented with a strategic and collaborative approach; ability to be tactful with diverse teams, situations, and ideas; possesses superior cultural competency skills and approachable demeanor.
- Comfortable working with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability and interest to learn about unfamiliar aspects of intellectual property.
- Adaptable, with the ability to work in a fast–paced, start–up–type environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with CAD applications (Solidworks a plus).
- Familiarity with docketing systems and patent file management systems is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Familiarity with Asset Management Software (IPfolio a plus), electronic signature technology, and expense reporting software (Divvy a plus).
- Able to quickly acquire proficiency with new skills and technologies.
- Travel: Open to international business travel, at least once a year.
- Ability to work extended hours as business needs warrant, may on occasion include nights and weekends.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full–time basis.