Senior IP Counsel
Housed in Fanatics’ Collectibles division, the Senior IP Counsel will serve as a strategic partner who must be able to succeed in handling a multitude of legal matters, including, but not limited to, setting strategy for, and managing, intellectual property portfolios, clearance and prosecution, anti-counterfeiting and IP enforcement, IP-related disputes (including risk assessment and litigation), domain name matters, license agreements and other contracts, and general IP guidance and strategic advice. As noted below, to be successful in this role you must be an experienced IP attorney who is a self-starter, not afraid to ask questions, enthusiastic about the intersection of IP and business, and able to multi-task/handle various projects at once while effectively prioritizing.
Responsibilities & Duties
The Senior IP Counsel will provide legal counsel on IP-related matters related to day-to-day business and operations of the overall Fanatics Collectibles business, including advising business leadership on IP matters. Day-to-day responsibilities will include:
• Serving as a trusted colleague and creative problem-solver when it comes to various IP-related matters working alongside members of the Global IP Legal Team.
• Collaborating with the Global IP Legal Team to provide legal advice to the executives and senior business leaders across the business, including engagement in proactive issue-spotting, risk assessment and problem-solving.
• Involvement with management and strategic guidance related to the business’ global IP portfolio, including communications with the applicable business clients to arrive at sound portfolio strategy.
• Facilitating clearance searches and providing appropriate legal guidance to applicable business clients.
• Effectively collaborating and communicating both internally and externally regarding anti-counterfeiting and other IP enforcement matters. Reviewing and evaluating potential enforcement matters and providing sound guidance on merits and strategy.
• Involvement with management of various third-party IP-related disputes, including risk assessment and litigation.
• Providing support on IP-related matters pertaining to M&A activity.
• Providing strategic guidance on domain name portfolio and domain name disputes.
• Providing IP-related guidance on license agreements and other contracts.
• Interpreting and advising with respect to rights and obligations under Fanatics Collectibles’ agreements.
• Overseeing outside counsel on pertinent IP matters, as needed.
Educational and Professional Experience/Other Requirements
• At least ten (10) years of legal professional work experience at a law firm and in-house directly advising senior leadership clients on complex corporate, commercial, business, and transactional matters.
• In-house legal experience required.
• Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school (or international equivalent) and member in good standing in at least one US jurisdiction.
• Patent experience required.
• Litigation experience a plus, but not required.
• In office role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Be a doer who’s ready, willing and able to roll up your sleeves, jump in and get things done.
• Be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, capable of taking ownership of projects/matters.
• Have a strong desire to assume a wide variety of responsibilities, be flexible and grow with the company.
• Able to accomplish multiple tasks at once while balancing competing objectives and deadlines.
• Produce high-quality carefully crafted work product in a timely manner.
• Have strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge strong relationships with key stakeholders throughout the organization.
• Work effectively both independently and as a team player in a team-oriented environment, friendly and excited about “play nice” culture.
• Be confident, be a collaborator and initiative taker.
• Do not watch the clock, be flexible, invested, committed, and immersed in the excitement about and commitment to the success of our businesses.
• Strong understanding of the Collectibles businesses and overall Fanatics operations.
• Be a creative thinker who can initiate and develop alternative approaches to complex issues.
• Have a “how” state of mind, not a yes/no advisor.
• Professional and have a perfect sense of integrity, reliable and does the right thing.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent legal and business acumen and problem-solving skills.
• Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to synthesize complex data for a range of audiences. Ability to advise all levels of seniority, summarize bottom line concise advice and at the same time able to expand to full spectrum of details and analysis as appropriate.
• Able to function in excellence in a high-paced, entrepreneurial and constantly evolving and fast-moving environment.
• Aim to be best in class – goal oriented and task focused learner who is innovative and influential.
• Driven to win, ambassador of the Fanatics brand who brings passion, energy and positivity into the workplace.
• Frequent travel (e.g., between Dallas/Atlanta and New York City) required.