Corporate Counsel II - Litigation/Labor Relations
Our Human Resources Department is focused on ALDI's most valuable asset: our people. With teams including Administration, Employee Communications, Payroll & Benefits, Human Resource Information Systems, Legal, Risk & Security, Recruitment and Training & Development, HR makes sure that ALDI continues to employ talented and motivated people that are focused on preserving the supportive culture we're known for.
In this role, the Corporate Counsel II – Litigation/Labor Relations will be responsible for managing risk and providing practical advice and counsel to the business on products liability, labor relations, government investigations, intellectual property, food and non–food regulatory compliance, and other laws and regulations impacting the retail industry. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience advising internal clients on applicable laws and regulations and practicing before federal and state courts and various administrative agencies.
Position Type: Full–Time
Work Location: Naperville, IL
This role is eligible to participate in ALDI's Hybrid Work Program, which requires work in–office at least 2 days per month.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Communicates effectively and informs direct leader of issues, status, and results of assigned tasks.
• Identifies legal issues and recommends responsive action, as appropriate.
• Engages with ALDI business and external parties/suppliers involved in the legal process, and internal/external counsel regarding relevant areas of expertise.
• Recommends process improvements for area of responsibility.
• Researches, analyzes, and keeps current on legal issues and laws, legislation, regulations, and court decisions affecting the relevant area(s) of law.
• Serves as a liaison for various areas of the business, including creating and reviewing related agreements.
• Works strategically to provide guidance to internal team members and relevant areas of the business.
• Evaluates and analyzes legal cases then reports findings to direct leader; researches unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes.
• Performs pre–litigation work to minimize risks and potential legal liability.
• Assists in analyzing current company procedures to identify best practices.
• Assists with preparation and analysis of data to identify exposures and risks.
• Supports strategies for reducing costs and transferring risk.
• Provides proactive analysis of current projects and analytical review of reported results.
• Performs special projects as requested.
• Drafts, reviews, and negotiates agreements.
• Drafts memorandums, attorney correspondence, reports, and other pleadings as requested.
• Conducts legal research and responds to legal inquiries from multiple areas of the business.
• Collaborates with team members and communicates relevant information to leadership.
• Upholds the security and confidentiality of documents and data within area of responsibility.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Consistently demonstrates the Mindsets, ALDI Acts Competencies and Professional Skills (M.A.P.) as outlined for the role.
• Gives attention to detail and follows instruction.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Effective time management; maximizes productivity.
• Prepares written materials to meet purpose and audience.
• Develops and maintains positive relationships with internal and external parties
• Strong legal analysis, drafting, research, and presentation skills.
• Knowledge of relevant United States laws and ability to assist in defending the company against various areas of litigation.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to analyze and present complex data.
• Ability to interpret and apply company policies and procedures.
• Ability to stay organized and multi–task in a professional and efficient manner.
• Knowledge of retail industry standards and practices.
• Negotiation skills.
• Ability to plan and organize workflow, and embrace new challenges.
• Ability to apply creative solutions.
• Skill in reviewing files to determine accuracy and completeness.
• Ability to prioritize and work under strict deadlines.
• Leverages legal expertise and business acumen to support the company in achieving its objectives.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree required.
• A minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in a business environment required.
• Experience in a law firm, corporate legal department and/or in–house legal counsel experience preferred.
• J.D. from an ABA accredited law school required.
• Licensed to practice in Illinois (or immediate ability to become licensed) required.
• Overall broad knowledge of contract law, data privacy, litigation, labor & employment law and/or commercial disputes required.
• Or, a combination of education and experience providing equivalent knowledge.
• Work may be performed in an office, remote office or a combination of both where a computer and office equipment may be used as needed to perform duties.
• Regularly required to sit, reach, grasp, stand and move from one area to another.
• Constantly and repeatedly use keyboard/mouse.
• Occasionally required to push, pull, bend, lift and move up to 25 lbs.
• Domestic travel required.
• Up to 10%.
ALDI offers competitive wages and benefits, including:
- 401(k) Plan
- Company 401(k) Matching Contributions
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- PerkSpot National Discount Program
In addition, eligible employees are offered:
- Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Generous Vacation Time & 7 Paid Holidays
- Up to 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave at 100% of pay
- Up to 2 Weeks Paid Caregiver Leave at 100% of pay
- Short and Long–Term Disability Insurance
- Life, Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance
- Voluntary Term Life Insurance
ALDI is committed to equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), we do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, sex, sexual stereotyping, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), or any other protected characteristic. Employment may be contingent upon ALDI's receipt of an acceptable and job–related drug test, motor vehicle report, and/or reference check, as applicable and permissible by law.