Associate General Counsel
Job Title: Associate General Counsel
Department: Legal and External Affairs
Reports To: General Counsel
Type: Full–Time Regular
FLSA Status: Exempt
Role Type: Individual Contributor
Seattle Sounders FC is a progressive high performing collection of people who strive to achieve the highest levels of our sport while making a transformative impact in our communities in the best soccer city in America. Our culture is focused on serving one of the most passionate sports fan bases in North America who are invested in the Sounders as much for our commitment to making a positive impact in our communities as they are for winning the 2019 MLS Cup and 2022 CONCACAF Champions League on home soil. We exist to create special moments like these, where we enrich lives and unify our fans and city through soccer.
This is a legal job; we are looking for a lawyer. We assume that if you are applying you are a lawyer. But more than that, Sounders FC is looking for a new teammate. Our small legal team works closely with every department in our organization, from soccer to human resources to marketing to sponsorships, ticketing, and everything in between. Sports law runs the gamut; if you have practiced as an attorney in any setting, you have relevant experience.
We believe that our value proposition is one where growing revenue, retaining season ticket holders, and driving consumption of our brand, increasing our technological efficiency, and running a best–in–class professional sports organization is predicated on living our values. Our legal department is critical to strategic, creative, collaborative thinking that informs partnerships, products, and campaigns to achieve results aligned to those values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Report to and support the General Counsel as a lawyer for the club, including representing the club in legal matters, as directed, including but not limited to contracts, employment matters, litigation, intellectual property, corporate partnerships, marketing and promotion, social impact and philanthropy, data privacy and security, ticketing, and legal compliance with local, state and federal law.
- Manage and be primary lead counsel on internal human resource, people and culture, employment, independent contracting, contract management, procurement and sourcing contracts, risk management, policies, and compliance matters (includes drafting and editing policies/handbook, compliance training, supporting process development).
- Manage and be primary lead counsel on internal marketing, media, intellectual property, rights clearances, data security and privacy matters.
- Manage and be primary lead counsel with respect to SAFE Sport Act, safeguarding of minors, minor protection policies, procedures, trainings and compliance matters, including serving as designated representative of the club to the league (MLS, MLS Next Pro, MLS Next) on all such issues.
- As directed by the General Counsel, represent the club on league committees and task forces, and attend all league meetings for club legal departments conducted by the legal offices of MLS, MLS Next Pro and MLS Next academy.
- Serve as internal point of contact for management of contract management system, organization of internal records and manage document retention policy, as well as oversee legal reporting requirements to compliance, risk management, audit functions and advise on insurance placements.
- Assist the General Counsel in managing outside counsel on legal matters, including but not limited to corporate outside counsel and employment counsel.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, strengthening inclusion acumen, and promoting a culture of inclusivity and belonging that embraces the contributions of all team members.
- Other duties as assigned
- Support management and mentorship of Legal Externs
- Juris Doctorate or equivalent from an accredited law school required.
- Admitted to and in good standing with Washington State Bar; or ability to become admitted.
- 3+ years of corporate transactional experience in a firm or as in–house counsel or other relevant experience.
- Committed to principles of diversity, equity and inclusion, and to living club values and the Sounders FC Mission to Create Moments, Enrich Lives, and Unify Through Soccer, in all interactions with colleagues, partners, vendors, and fans.
- Adept and astute problem solver and issue spotter who can quickly and effectively shift between multiple tasks and subject matters.
- Strong teamwork and relationship management skills; works effectively as a liaison between the legal department and all internal clients and external partners/stakeholders.
- Advanced negotiating and writing skills, with a strong ability to draft and review legal documents, analyze complex issues, and provide practical, business–oriented solutions.
- Ability to make recommendations for business decisions based on reasoned legal analysis and the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Ability to represent the organizational amongst and within the civic, regulatory, and wider corporate community in Washington State
- High level of commitment to quality work product and organizational ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrated willingness to continuously acquire new competencies and accept new challenges.
- This is a hybrid position working from home and from Seattle Sounders FC's offices in Renton.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Must be fully vaccinated at the time of hire and follow all club and league COVID–19 protocols.
- Must reside within Washington state upon date of hire.
- Must be able to facilitate own local travel.
- Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS & PERKS
Seattle Sounders FC offers competitive compensation and an engaging, supportive environment that prioritizes the health and well–being of our people.
The annual salary range for this position is $101,500 – $159,000. Base pay at time of offer will take into account job–related knowledge, skills and experience required for the role, internal equity and market.
Our Total Rewards package for full–time team members includes:
- Healthcare plans with 100% employer sponsored premiums for employees and dependents
- Generous PTO plan that supports employee health and well–being
- 401k retirement plan matching
- Gender–neutral parental leave program offering 12–16 weeks of paid leave for new parents
- Discounts on Sounders FC products, merchandise and with Sounders FC Partners
- Complimentary tickets to Sounders FC and Tacoma Defiance matches
- Volunteer opportunities in the Seattle community offered in support of social impact and RAVE Foundation initiatives
- Growth opportunities, employee learning and development programs to support professional and personal growth