We're forward–thinking technology people with heart. We make our own rules, drive our own opportunities, and try to approach every challenge with fresh eyes. Of course, we can't do it alone. We know when to ask for help, collaborate with others, and partner with smart people. We embrace diversity and openness because it's in our DNA. We push limits and reward great ideas. What is your great idea?
'At NetApp, we fully embrace and advance a diverse, inclusive global workforce with a culture of belonging that leverages the backgrounds and perspectives of all employees, customers, partners, and communities to foster a higher performing organization.' –George Kurian, CEOJob Summary
Join our world–class legal team and play a pivotal role in driving revenue in NetApp's cloud sales organization and other sales teams as Commercial Counsel. We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced candidate who is agile, organized, and excited to work with sales. As a trusted partner to business clients and cross–functional stakeholders, you will provide expert legal advice and guidance on a wide range of commercial and contractual matters.
What You'll Do:
• Serve as a partner to the business by drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of commercial technology agreements, including software–as–a service (SaaS), license and services agreements with customers and partners to enable sales opportunities while also complying with legal requirements and company policies.
• Become a trusted advisor to your sales clients as well as cross–functional stakeholders by conducting thorough legal analyses and risk assessments to identify potential legal issues and providing proactive recommendations and actionable guidance on legal issues and risks, with a particular focus on data privacy and information security.
• Advise internal stakeholders on legal matters related to commercial transactions, including terms and conditions, data privacy and security, intellectual property, indemnification, and liability.
• Contribute to the continuous improvement of standard agreements and legal processes for customer and partner agreements, as well as on projects designed to increase velocity and efficiency, including templates and playbooks related to information security and data privacy terms.
• Collaborate with cross functional teams including finance, information security, privacy, sales and product teams to drive customer deals to execution and design scalable processes for implementation.
• Conduct internal training and develop educational materials to enhance legal awareness within the organization.
• 4+ years of legal experience (with extensive experience drafting complex technology contracts).
• In–depth knowledge of SaaS and software and hardware agreements, associated business models, and technology industry trends, including knowledge of laws and regulations as they apply to cloud services providers and customers (e.g., privacy, data handling, GDPR requirements, information security requirements).
• Keen business sense, with the ability to distill legal theory into practical advice through excellent verbal and written communication, drafting and negotiation skills.
• Proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
• Exceptional attention to detail and proven ability to be self–directed.
• Solution–oriented: You bring empathy and understanding to your conversations with customers, seeking to find a path forward that balances company risk and customer needs, and you think creatively beyond the legal terms to generate possible solutions and options for the business, while clearly articulating risk–based recommendations.
• Flexibility in working hours in a global enterprise.
• Team–oriented, with a good sense of humor and high level of integrity, responsibility and professionalism, and the ability to build relationships and collaborate across functions while working in a dynamic, fast–paced, deadline–oriented environment.
This position will preferably be based near a NetApp office in the San Francisco Bay area; NY City; RTP, NC; or the DC Metro Area but remote locations will also be considered, and this position will report to the Director of Legal.
Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited U.S law school and an active admission with at least one state bar membership and eligible to practice in your state of residence.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
NetApp is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and to compliance with all federal, state and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination based on age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability or genetic information, pregnancy, protected veteran status, and any other protected classification.
Did you know
Statistics show women apply to jobs only when they're 100% qualified. But no one is 100% qualified. We encourage you to shift the trend and apply anyway! We look forward to hearing from you.
In a world full of generalists, NetApp is a specialist. No one knows how to elevate the world's biggest clouds like NetApp. We are data–driven and empowered to innovate. Trust, integrity, and teamwork all combine to make a difference for our customers, partners, and communities.
We expect a healthy work–life balance. Our volunteer time off program is best in class, offering employees 40 hours of paid time off per year to volunteer with their favorite organizations. We provide comprehensive medical, dental, wellness, and vision plans for you and your family. We offer educational assistance, legal services, and access to discounts. We also offer financial savings programs to help you plan for your future.
If you run toward knowledge and problem–solving, join us.
USA Residents Only:
The base salary hiring wage range for this position which the Company reasonably and in good faith expects to pay for the position in the specified geographic areas or locations, is 180,000 – 240,000. Final compensation will be dependent on various factors relevant to the position and candidate such as geographical location, candidate qualifications, certifications, relevant job–related work experience, education, skillset and other relevant business and organizational factors, consistent with applicable law. In addition, the position may include some of the following comprehensive benefits such Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401(K), Paid Time off (PTO), sick time, leave of absence as per the FMLA and other relevant leave laws, Company bonus/commission, employee stock purchase plan, and/or restricted stocks (RSU's).