Estate planning is the last frontier in advisor technology. While other segments of wealth management have made significant technological strides in the last decade, estate planning has been left behind. It's slow, it's expensive, it's confusing–and with more than $84.4 trillion in wealth set to be transferred over the next quarter century, it's begging for an upgrade.
So that's what we're doing at Vanilla. We're not just rebuilding estate planning–we're redefining it. We're taking on a complex, highly regulated space that's full of big problems to solve. We're moving fast, building something completely new, and there's as much work as there is opportunity. We're looking for people who share our belief that everyone deserves to create a meaningful legacy, as well as our excitement to be the ones to help make it happen.Job Description
As Corporate Counsel, you will be a part of Vanilla's Legal team, reporting to the General Counsel. We are looking for an experienced commercial transactions/IP attorney who has excellent judgment, finds creative solutions, communicates well, and is willing to roll up their sleeves to support a dynamic, fast–paced business. We are looking for someone able to collaborate cross–functionally, balance competing demands, work independently, and is an supportive and communicative teammate. This person will have a proven record of providing practical guidance on legal and compliance issues, risks, complex products, and company policies, in a risk–tolerant, compliance–focused environment.
This role will start as a contractor with the opportunity to convert to full time based on performance and need.Responsibilities Include
- Report to General Counsel and work closely with other members of the Legal team to provide practical, effective, commercially–oriented legal and compliance support to Vanilla
- Build strong relationships with cross–functional teams (product, engineering, marketing, sales, customer care); serve as a strategic adviser and partner to the business
- Draft, review, and negotiate NDAs and complex commercial agreements, including customer agreements and vendor contracts
- Manage and mitigate legal risk by developing and implementing appropriate policies, procedures, education, and training programs around data, privacy, security, UPL, and other matters
- Work with cross–functional teams to build scalable processes that support business needs
- Partner with product, engineering team, and product counsel team around data collection, use, and compliance with privacy laws
- Work cross functionally with tech org and operations to maintain, improve, and monitor SOC2 controls
- Advise on and manage intellectual property matters
- Monitor and keep the company informed about relevant legal developments, regulatory changes, and industry trends
- JD from a top–tier law school, bar admission and in good standing in at least one U.S. state
- 8+ years of top–tier law firm and in–house experience
- Experience working for high–growth, venture–backed technology companies in the B2B/SaaS space preferred
- Demonstrated success as a legal–business leader with the ability to balance legal risk mitigation against key business objectives
- Extensive commercial transactional experience with large regulated customers (fintech experience a plus)
- Solid knowledge of privacy and data security principles and experience supporting a GTM/sales organization
- Ability to work effectively independently and with others in a virtual team environment
- Superior legal and business judgment as well as an ability to apply critical thinking skills in a fast–paced environment
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills (especially in a remote–first environment)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially in providing concise, plain language advice
- Team player willing to pitch in to get the job done, including performing tasks outside of job description; willing to help others on the team and take on additional responsibilities
- Self–motivated, curious, and organized
Please include your resume AND a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the role.
Vanilla Technologies Inc. (dba "Vanilla") provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.