Our client is the UK's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. They create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. They do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries they work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
They work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year they reach over 20 million people face–to–face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications.
Legal services are provided within the organisation through a small team with a broad remit, which touches many parts of the organisation. Direct support from the Legal team is focused on business–critical core legal issues, including client/supplier/partner/funder arrangements, intellectual property, privacy, conflict of laws/ cross–border issues, legal status, complex contracts and strategy for resolution of major disputes.
This role provides support to Cultural Engagement (largely grant funded or partnership driven) and English & Exams (commercial, surplus generating business), corporate functions and the overseas network as required.
The role reports to a Senior Legal Advisor/Legal Counsel, who in turn reports to the Head of Legal. The Head of Legal reports to the Director of Corporate Affairs. Due to the nature of the functions in Corporate Affairs, there is significant daily interaction with a range of colleagues around the the organisation's global network, plus the Senior Leadership Team and the Board.
- Provide legal advice to colleagues across the organisation.
- Handle legal enquiries, provide advice and involve other support functions as required.
- Work with the Senior Legal Advisors, Legal Counsel and other colleagues to prepare, draft and negotiate a wide range of commercial contracts and work on international digital innovation initiatives as well as data, IP, procurement and e–commerce matters; treaties/arrangements with host country governments; ancillary legal documentation such as loans, bonds and guarantees, powers of attorney and memoranda of understanding.
- Work with the Senior Legal Advisors, Legal Counsel and other colleagues to manage a variety of complaints and disputes.
- Work with the Senior Legal Advisers, Legal Counsel and other colleagues in handling pre and post–business case issues in Status and Tax negotiations.
- Relationship and stakeholder management.
- As required, advise on the management of legal risk in the organisation, including design and delivery of key change programmes, advising on legal implications of new business models and commercial activities.
- 2 – 5 years post–qualified experience working as a lawyer within the jurisdiction of England & Wales.
Sufficient knowledge/experience of:
- commercial transactions/contract law
- partnerships and joint ventures
- corporate governance
- legal status (UK and overseas)
- conflict of laws/cross border issues
- intellectual property/digital/privacy as well as B2C operations
- international legal issues
- public procurement law and competitive tender processes
- Public sector/ NDPB legal experience
- Charity legal experience
- In–house experience
- Exposure to or interest in artificial intelligence
- Dispute Resolution
- Employment law
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency and references to pay rates are indicative.
BY APPLYING FOR THIS ROLE YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR TERMS OF SERVICE WHICH TOGETHER WITH OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT GOVERN YOUR USE OF MORGAN MCKINLEY SERVICES.