Position: Legal Adviser
Location: Stevenage. Hybrid
Salary: Up to GBP68,000 + 20% bonus
Experience: We are looking for a qualified Solicitor or Barrister who has PQE working in a private practice firm; experience in an in–house team is a bonus.
? Defend the Future: Join a company that is at the forefront of innovation in the defence industry. Your work will directly impact the safety and security of nations.
? Cutting–Edge Technology: Work with the latest technology and tools in a fast–paced, dynamic environment where innovation is encouraged.
? Global Impact: Collaborate with a diverse team of experts from around the world, driving projects with global significance.
? Career Growth: We invest in our employees' professional development. Take advantage of training, mentorship, and advancement opportunities.
? Work–Life Balance: We believe in the importance of work–life balance. Our flexible work arrangements ensure you can excel in your career while enjoying a fulfilling personal life.
What's in it for you:
- Very good pension package
- Clear and realistic career progression opportunities
- Annual salary review & help with cost–of–living crisis
- On site benefits including free parking & very subsidised meals
- Excellent onsite facilities & a collaborative working environment
- 25 days holiday + opportunity to buy more & earn more from OT
What you will be doing:
You will act as a trusted Junior Legal Advisor, assisting various stakeholders throughout the business, including the senior management team. You will provide commercially orientated legal advice principally to the UK business, but also to the parent and sister companies and colleagues abroad, as required. You will also assist with company secretarial functions within the Company's and Group Legal Department.
Your role will be within the UK Legal Team, which currently consists of four lawyers who are firmly integrated into the wider international legal team. You will provide advice on matters including:
- Contractual terms (e.g., sales and marketing, procurement, R&D, co–operation and partnering and security related agreements, IT)
- Intellectual property
- Regulatory issues
- Treasury matters
- Company secretarial duties, including board minutes and resolutions
- DEFCONs and other Government/s terms
- Provision of training, particularly to the Procurement and Commercial functions on contractual terms and conditions and DEFCONs
Your aim is to:
- Ensure that the business/projects operate with minimum acceptable risk with regard to legal implications
- Ensure that the Company recognises its rights, whether contractual, or in relation to assets e.g., intellectual property, and to utilise and protect such rights
- Assist the business to avoid taking on risks/liabilities which could have a material financial and/or reputational impact on the Company
- Provide advice to all departments within the Company, and provide guidance/advice across our Group
- Engage and mange external legal support (where required) within approved budgets
- Promote effective corporate governance
- Conduct horizon scanning and advise on legal and regulatory change
Inherently the role is mixed, both in the context of the ranges of legal advice required and also by reason of the fact that responsibility is requested and taken for activities which do not fall squarely within other areas (examples: OECD, Data Protection and Freedom of Information).
What we need from you:
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate good legal skills, who is happy to be a "generalist" and, where there are gaps in their existing legal knowledge, has a desire to learn on the job and expand their competencies. We are looking for someone who:
- Is a qualified Solicitor or Barrister
- Has academic qualifications of LLB, BA (Law) and above, with PQE
- Has worked in a private practice law firm. Experience working in an in–house Legal team is an advantage
- Possesses the ability to understand a complex situation and summarise it in a concise and easy to understand format
- Possesses the skills and authority to convince clients, both in–house and external
- Is capable of interfacing easily with other functions in a multi–cultural environment
- Possesses strong drafting, legal analysis and negotiating skills
- Can generate commercial risk–based solutions
If you would like to know more details about the position or want to register your interest, hit apply below. We'd love to hear from you!