Digital Lawyer Location: LondonLength: 2.5mRate: GBP175 – GBP200 per day (Inside IR35) Hours: 9am – 6pmREF no:831EEThis client is one of the world's largest and most respected broadcasting organisations. One of the UK's flagship media organisations, this client operates numerous TV channels, radio stations and digital platforms, catering to diverse audiences both in the UK and around the globe.Role ResponsibilityAs Commercial Rights and Business Affairs Manager, you will:
- provide pro–active legal and business affairs support to our client's product, design, engineering and innovation teams on procurements, our digital product offerings and online audience engagement strategies, innovation initiatives and research and development.
- advise internal stakeholders on key issues and risks in our commercial contracts and make sure that our agreements reflect our internal standards and strategy.
- actively shape and develop legal commercial strategy to support our digital product offerings and innovation activities.
- support and lead on team initiatives to develop a streamlined, efficient and scalable contracting process that gives the team flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
- You'll bring an understanding of digital and tech procurements and have sophisticated negotiating and contracting skills. You will be familiar with the client's digital output. You will be comfortable working alongside the Senior Lawyer and independently on the end–to–end process of negotiating, drafting and producing a wide range of agreements in the areas of digital procurements, tech licensing, collaboration agreements and will understand and be able to apply related BBC policy and strategy.
- You will be adept at learning and understanding what matters to the business and using that to give practical and commercially focused legal, rights and business affairs advice in easy to understand language. Added to this will be your fluency with relevant industry practices and legislation, including data protection law, consumer protection law and general contract law, and strong legal drafting capabilities.
- You are excited about digital, consumer tech and innovation, the businesses we support, the sector we are working in and the competitive, regulatory and policy factors that affect it.
- You have a collaborative, flexible and positive attitude, are willing to learn and help steer the team to work well together and get the job done. You are always ready to share knowledge with your colleagues and you will communicate ideas clearly and make sure everyone understands.
- You are happy to help others understand issues and risks and have self–awareness of when you need to get further information or advice and escalate.
- A legal qualification is essential (NQ–4 PQE+), as is proven experience of commercial deal making, digital and tech procurement and licensing of intellectual property in a media/broadcasting environment.
- a willingness to roll up your sleeves, clear blockers, think creatively.
- strong negotiating skills with the ability to balance deadlines and short–term contract requirements with the long–term vision and priorities of the business.
- familiarity with open source licensing.
- transactional experience involving AI/machine learning.
- experience of rights clearance and copyright licensing for digital and consumer tech.
- experience of procuring cloud based and digital services for public authorities.
- familiarity with emerging technologies, data and personalisation, web games and apps, streaming video services and social media.