We are The Very Group and we're here to help families get more out of life. We know that our customers work hard for their families and have a lot to balance in their busy lives. That's why we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options on Very.co.uk to help them say yes to the things they love. We're just as passionate about helping our people get more out of life too, building careers with real growth, a sense of purpose, belonging and wellbeing.
About the team
Our in–house Legal Team support The Very Group across multiple sites. The team works at pace to support the business. You will find our solicitors are approachable and are committed to continually driving knowledge and performance across the area. The team is based in our Speke Head Office and operate a hybrid working model, working at least three days a week in the office (including every Tuesday and Thursday).
About the role
This role represents a great opportunity for a NQ – 2 Year PQE solicitor to work within a critical support function of a major digital retailer and financial services provider with an exposure to a broad range of practice areas.
This role covers a wide range of commercial contracts including IT, marketing, consultancy, logistics, sponsorship and general procurement. An understanding of aspects of intellectual property, data protection, distance selling and e–commerce would also be beneficial.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
- Contract review, drafting and negotiation for a broad range of different commercial contracts, including IT, consultancy, and general procurement.
- Maintaining effective relationships with all relevant business areas through a pragmatic, commercial and business focussed approach and demonstrating a sound understanding of business processes within The Very Group.
- Application of analytical and process skills, specialist knowledge and innovative thinking to offer support and guidance on complex legal and operational problems.
- Providing structured training and on the job guidance to staff in a variety of departments, raising awareness of legal and regulatory risks relevant to them.
- Supporting a range of change projects within The Very Group.
- Maintaining extensive knowledge of UK legal and regulatory developments affecting The Very Group's activities in the retail marketplace and identifying potential legal and regulatory change to ensure impacts are sufficiently understood and mitigated.
You will be reliable and trustworthy with the ability to build great relationships. We're at our best when we focus, support each other, and celebrate our progress.
Alongside the ability to demonstrate sound commercial awareness and judgement, logical problem–solving skills and excellent interpersonal and team skills, you will ideally have experience in commercial law or in–house experience within a retailer or an FCA regulated organisation.
You will have effective communication and influencing skills with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical issues to non–subject matter experts at all levels and the confidence to challenge and escalate appropriately.
You will be able to work independently and use your own initiative whilst having the support of senior lawyers within the team and you will be expected to manage competing demands and to work under pressure.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- Inclusive culture and environment, check out our Glassdoor reviews
- GBP1,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays
- Bonus potential (performance and business–related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- Udemy learning access
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you will be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS, Right to Work and DBS (criminal records) check. Should your application progress please let the team know if there is anything you need to disclose in relation to these checks.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you're successful so keep an eye on your emails! We'll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we're a good match, we'll share your CV with the hiring manager to review. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in–person or held remotely.
You can expect a two–stage interview process for this position:
1st stage – A one–hour formal interview where you can expect to provide information about your experience and answer competency based questions. This is also a great opportunity for you to ask questions about the role and the department.
2nd Stage – A 30 to 45 minute technical exercise followed by a discussion on the topic. There will also be some additional time for you or us to ask any remaining questions.
As an inclusive employer please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.
If you'd like to know more about our interviews, you can find out here .
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.