Senior Legal Counsel
AMC Networks International (AMCNI), the global division of AMC Networks, delivers entertaining and acclaimed programming that reaches subscribers in more than 130 countries and territories. AMCNI consists of global brands, AMC and SundanceTV, as well as popular, locally recognized channels in various programming genres. We value diversity and inclusion because we know that people from different backgrounds with different points of view, working together, is essential to our continued success.
Join us as we look to further our future as the place where the world's best stories are told.
In house legal solicitor providing day–to–day high–quality business focused legal support and advice to various departments across a range of practice areas to secure and deliver effective proactive solutions to legal issues.
Working with a high degree of autonomy on complex legal matters, the Senior Legal Counsel will lead and manage their own portfolio of matters but will also work collaboratively and will be an effective delegate for the Head of Legal. The Senior Legal Counsel will develop and maintain a broad knowledge of the business, develop strong working relationships with colleagues at all levels across the business and be able to be both influential and persuasive in securing legal compliance.
This is a maternity leave cover FTC for 12 months.
This role is based in the UK and working from our offices in Soho (2 days per week) and remotely from home for 3 days.
We offer a supportive work environment, private medical & dental insurance, 25 days holiday and a generous pension scheme. Our offices have an on–site gym, free snacks and a great location in the centre of London.
- Drafting, negotiating (both legally and commercially) advising on and concluding various high value agreements covering all aspects of company business – including and not limited to: distribution of linear channels and non–linear services (including AVOD services and FAST channels) in worldwide territories; agency agreements; content acquisition and distribution agreements; content commissioning agreements; playout and TX agreements; language versioning agreements; advertising sales and marketing agreements; music licensing agreements; service and employee agreements; non–disclosure agreements; barter agreements; company property lease agreements.
- Liaising with and advising senior management, sales, programming, advertising and finance teams on terms and structure of commercial and corporate agreements and translating complex technical information into clear accessible advice, ensuring that the business is not exposed to undue risk whilst adhering to consistent business standards.
- Advising on all legal issues including rights, contractual, regulatory/compliance matters, ownership, infringement and licensing issues. Identifying, anticipating and managing potential legal risks connected with or resulting from business strategy and operations and developing strategies to mitigate them. Ensuring that the business generally operates within the legal framework and complies with relevant laws and regulations, interpreting the law and providing clarification on legal language or specifications to all within the business.
- Identifying and evaluating the business' data processing activities, to ensure that the business is compliant with data protection laws. Conducting internal GDPR compliance audits and providing advice and instructions to facilitate GDPR compliance through annual training, transparent data protection policies, systems and procedures.
- Conducting any due diligence and managing any legal disputes and where necessary instructing and liaising with external counsel on overseas matters and specific queries, managing the relationship as required, ensuring appropriate, timely and cost effective support to the business.
- To take direction and support from the Head of Legal on all matters that the Head of Legal decides require supervision including assisting the Legal team with its legal operations strategy and working with the Legal team to promote efficient and effective ways of working and providing feedback and supervision to the Paralegal and Legal Secretary, where necessary.
- Significant experience within the content and distribution industry.
- Strong knowledge of rights issues, contract law, copyright law and intellectual property law relevant to TV distribution and contracting with digital online platforms.
- Strong drafting skills – ability to take instructions on a wide variety of agreements and produce working drafts to meet business requirements.
- Experience in managing multiple agreements simultaneously and effectively progressing matters from instruction to conclusion, whilst maintaining attention to detail.
- Able to resolve problems under pressure and make accurate assessments of critical issues against tight timeframes.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with internal teams, ensuring effective collaboration and alignment with the wider departments.
- Ability to quickly establish excellent working relationships with external commercial and legal colleagues.
- Drive improvements in team best practice, knowhow and templates where required.
- Demonstrating integrity and ethics particularly ensuring compliance with all internal policies, procedures and standards.
Known for its groundbreaking and celebrated original content, AMC Networks is the company behind the award–winning brands AMC , BBC AMERICA , IFC , SundanceTV , WE tv , and IFC Films . Its diverse line–up of popular and critically acclaimed series and independent films include Killing Eve, Better Call Saul and The Walking Dead, which has been the show on ad–supported cable television for ten consecutive years, as well as Portlandia, Brockmire, Love After Lockup, and the Oscar–winning Boyhood. Its original series Mad Men and Breaking Bad are widely recognized as being among the most influential and acclaimed shows in the history of TV. The company also operates AMC+ , its premium subscription bundle; the subscription streaming services Acorn TV , ALLBLK , Shudder , and Sundance Now ; AMC Studios , its production business; AMC Networks International , its international programming business; and Levity Entertainment Group , its production services and comedy venues business.