Legal Counsel, In-Space Systems Legal Business Partner Seattle, WA
As part of a small, hard–working, and respected team of attorneys, you will help craft legal strategy and operations as it enables the in In–Space Systems business unit. As part of the team dedicated to leading legal support for each of the business units, sites and strategic functions at Blue, this position will work collaboratively with Legal Business Partners in other areas and across the Legal and Compliance department with professionals dedicated in areas like Intellectual Property, Regulatory Affairs, Corporate and Operations, Trade Compliance and Contracts.
We are looking for someone to apply their legal savvy, technical curiosity, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
This role will be based on site in Kent, WA with some travel to other sites as necessary to support program needs.
Crucial Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establish effective working relationships and builds trust with internal clients representing one (1) or more of Blue's current business units with a primary responsibility for In–Space Systems.
- Collaborate within the Legal and Compliance team in effectively supporting each of Blue's current business units; Engines, New Shepard, New Glenn, Lunar Transportation, Space Systems Development, as well as In–Space Systems.
- Partner with other teams within Legal and Compliance to provide broad–ranging support to client programs. Issue spots and refers BU clients to specialists within the Legal and Compliance team as appropriate.
- Cultivate non–traditional arrangements with government and industry collaborators.
- Working knowledge of both traditional government contracts and non–traditional federal government agreements.
- Experience providing support to proposal teams in response to Federal procurement and acquisition opportunities.
- Participates in significant tool, template, and process development.
- Independently problem–solves and develops legal approaches for complex problems.
- Uses legal judgement to select methods and techniques best suited to their problem.
- Ability to provide real–time legal advice during high–stress situations.
- 2+ years' experience with a law firm or as an in–house legal counsel and supporting government contract and commercial clients.
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills, both written and spoken.
- Experience exercising ownership over the analysis of mid–level to sophisticated legal tasks and related recommendations
- Experience developing legal approaches and draft documents applying legal analysis to a business opportunity or problem
- Adaptable to change and have an ability to develop relationships and influence outcomes.
- Familiarity with Federal procurement (including Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) and Incoterms.
- Excellent legal skills while also able to focus on strategic business issues.
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or otherwise able to review all export–controlled technical information.
- Bachelor's Degree and Juris Doctorate degree.
- Licensed in one U.S. jurisdiction with the ability to practice as in–house counsel in Washington.
- Experience identifying and resolving ambiguous issues.
- Active Security Clearance or willingness/ability to obtain.
- 5+ years of legal or program–support experience, including in the aerospace industry.
- Academic degree or work experience in engineering, science, business, or MBA or Advanced Degree in other business or technical fields.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, Commercial Space regulations.
- Experience advising and counseling senior leadership.