Global Head of Intellectual Property
Legend Biotech is seekingGlobal Head of Intellectual Property as part of the Legal team based in Somerset, New Jersey.
The Global Head of Intellectual Property leads Legend Biotech's global intellectual property strategy, supporting multiple research and business groups around the world. The position reports directly to the General Counsel of Legend Biotech.
- Oversee and direct Legend's global intellectual property strategy, partnering closely with the General Counsel to guide business teams and executives.
- Ensure ongoing alignment of intellectual property strategy and action plans to global corporate strategy.
- Work closely with the executive team to provide practical advice on intellectual property investments and uses, including quarterly IP updates to key management and occasional presentations to Board of Directors.
- Develop excellent relationships with all operational teams and ensure that intellectual property needs are met in a timely and efficient manner.
- Direct a full range of patent support functions (including patent preparation and prosecution, maintenance and post–grant proceedings in the U.S. and other jurisdictions).
- Perform freedom–to–operate studies, render opinions, and manage outside counsel.
- Support commercial transactions and help drive intellectual property business development and collaboration opportunities relating to Legend's intellectual property.
- Develop and manage a global intellectual property team.
- Manage intellectual property budget for law firms and other IP–related expenditures.
- Oversee compliance under various license agreements and other intellectual property agreements and obligations.
- Direct strategy for and manage intellectual property litigation and proceedings.
- Review product and technical publications and partner with R&D and business teams to protect intellectual property and comply with applicable laws.
- Contribute as needed on other matters for legal team.
- A J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school (or the equivalent); high degree of academic achievement.
- Licensed to practice law in one or more U.S. states; either admission to the New Jersey Bar or eligibility for in–house qualification in New Jersey.
- Admission to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Technologically savvy with a post–graduate degree, preferably in biochemistry, chemistry, biology or related discipline, and have fluency in molecular and cell biology. We will consider other technical backgrounds where a candidate has demonstrated competencies in biotechnology or life sciences.
- At least 15 years of law firm and/or corporate legal department experience, including experience:
- drafting and prosecuting biotech/biological patent applications.
- rendering patentability and infringement opinions and
- drafting and negotiating licensing and other technology transactions.
- Experience managing intellectual property attorneys and other professionals.
- Experience advising executives on intellectual property decisions.
- Experience or a strong interest in business development or other strategic activities to leverage investments in intellectual property.
- Exceptional attention to detail, organizational skills and judgment.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks in a fast–paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to think strategically, effectively engage in–house clients, and give well organized, thoughtful presentations to technical and non–technical members of senior management.