Senior Corporate Counsel
DNAnexus is a leading provider of secure, scalable, and intuitive biomedical data analysis software and bioinformatics applications for the life sciences and healthcare communities. The company actively manages and supports more than 80 petabytes of complex genomic, multi–omic, and clinical datasets on behalf of a growing network of collaborations with large–scale biobanks, as well as leading pharmaceutical, clinical diagnostic, academic research, and government organizations. Over 40,000 scientists across 48 countries are now using the highly collaborative, cloud–based, end–to–end platform to gain data–driven insights that can advance scientific discovery, accelerate precision medicine, and improve patient care.Job Description
As senior corporate counsel, you will be a crucial member of the DNAnexus team and will report to our Chief Financial Officer. You will work with cross–functional teams to enable the development of our commercial legal support processes, as well as provide counsel in a broad range of areas including privacy and product. We're looking for someone who will find enjoyment in thinking outside of the box to draft, review and negotiate the novel, and often very complex and technical, contractual
arrangements that will support and drive DNAnexus continued growth. Our ideal candidate is comfortable leading DNAnexus teams on deals, interacting with internal and external executives, and making agile decisions that comply with company standards, policy and strategy.
- Structure, draft, negotiate, and review a broad range of commercial, revenue–generating contracts, including master service agreements, data and technology licensing agreements. vendor, partner, supplier, marketing, NDAs, and other commercial agreements
- Provide legal analyses of applicable laws, regulations, and industry guidance, particularly in areas of privacy/personal data and intellectual property.
- Advise internal clients regarding legal issues, including identifying, managing, and communicating risks and opportunities in commercial transactions.
- Assist with the development of standard template language to be used in contracts, ancillary documents and associated playbooks.
- Support continuous improvements of forms, policies and processes to help streamline and simplify deals and product/service terms.
- Work cross functionally across the company to analyze legal risks, devise creative solutions and develop strong, trusted advisor relationships.
- 7+ years of relevant legal experience, ideally gained at a well–regarded law firm.
- followed by in–house experience (experience in the tech industry is a plus, but not required)
- JD from an accredited school and current member in good standing with the California bar.
- Experience with commercial technology transactions (SaaS, data licensing, partnerships) with Fortune 1000 companies and globally
- Ability to structure, draft, and negotiate a high volume of contracts such as master services agreements, partner agreements, supplier agreements, NDAs, and other commercial transactional agreements.
- Strong drafting skills with keen attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure.
- Experience working with data privacy and security issues.
- Flexible mindset combined with technical knowledge and passion for innovation.
- Proven ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick–thinking, pragmatic, business– oriented advice and to properly balance risks and business reward with a dedication to superior customer service.
- Ability to triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently and effectively.
- Experience with Salesforce, Google Docs, and DocuSign
- Experience in another specialist subject area of law (for example, employment, data privacy, intellectual property, or corporate) is a plus.
Salary and Other Compensation:
The annual starting salary for this position is between $250,000 – $300,000. Factors which may affect starting pay within this range may include geography/market, skills, education, experience and other qualifications of the successful candidate.
The Company offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, life insurance, long–term disability insurance, short–term disability insurance, flexible paid time off, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and national holidays paid.Additional Information
Headquartered in Mountain View, California, with over 220 team members across the United States and Europe, DNAnexus is experiencing rapid growth and market adoption. With the support of leading investors including Google Ventures and Blackstone, and trusted by hundreds of the world's biomedical leaders, the company is at the innovative forefront with our precision health data cloud to drive scientific breakthroughs.If you are interested in joining our team, please apply today!