Director Patent Attorney, Gene Therapy
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc. is seeking a Patent Attorney to assist in the development, protection, and management of Regenerons valuable intellectual property pertaining to gene therapy related technologies, in particular viral vector design to treat auditory and muscle disorders. This position will be highly integrated and develop close client relationships with the relevant scientific and business groups and coordinate patent filings, administrative patent actions and perform necessary due diligences. You will also advise on emerging legal issues, including monitoring and reviewing case law and legislative developments, and is expected to contribute to administrative and legal projects intended to develop an IP Department displaying the highest legal and ethical standards.
The role is hybrid 2–3 days onsite, based at our HQ campus in Tarrytown, NY. This role is not open to fully remote–based work arrangements.
A typical day may include:
- Identifying and capturing new inventions relating to gene therapy, in particular viral vector related design and delivery.
- Preparing and prosecuting global patent applications relating to all aspects of viral vector related technologies.
- Managing outside counsel on various projects as appropriate;
- Conducting patent landscape overviews, freedom–to–operate analyses, validity assessments and patentability assessments in relation to emerging technologies and communicating the results and analyses to senior members of the Law Department and other company senior management personnel;
- Managing US and foreign administrative patent actions (e.g., oppositions, third party observations, etc.); and supporting due diligence projects, agreements and transactional work, administrative initiatives, and policy questions.
This role might be for you if you:
- Enjoy working independently, but also as part of a team.
- Can coordinate with outside counsel and internal partners to move matters forward on deadlines.
- Can provide thoughtful legal advice to colleagues and partners on an array of issues that can vary day–by–day, and hour–by–hour.
- Have exceptional oral and written communication skills and can provide independent judgment and an objective perspective.
- Work effectively with colleagues and clients in a collaborative environment.
To be considered for this role you must possess a Ph.D. in the life sciences (e.g., molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry or related disciplines) and Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school. You must be admitted to practice before the USPTO and licensed to practice law in at least one state (member of the NY bar or eligible for in–house licensure in NY). You must have at least 5 years experience practicing as a patent attorney in a law firm or corporate setting. Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects, large and complex docket with minimal supervision, and exceptional communication skills, including presentation, interpersonal, writing and conflict resolution are required.
Does this sound like you? Apply now to take your first steps toward living the Regeneron Way! We have an inclusive and diverse culture that provides comprehensive benefits including health and wellness programs, fitness centers and equity awards, annual bonuses, and paid time off for eligible employees at all levels!
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or parental status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need.
The salary ranges provided are shown in accordance with U.S. law and apply to U.S. based positions, where the hired candidate will be located in the U.S. If you are outside the U.S, please speak with your recruiter about salaries and benefits in your location.
Salary Range (annually)$198,000.00 – $330,000.00