Chief Legal Officer
BlueChip Financial (BCF) is looking for a Chief Legal Officer to manage the company's legal, compliance, and government relations functions. We are looking for someone who can bring a proactive, curious, and collaborative approach to the unique legal and regulatory questions of a growing, innovative financial technology company.
This important position will report to the CEO and will be a core member of the executive leadership team, providing key strategic guidance to the CEO and Board of Directors. You will also have the opportunity to spearhead the company's regulatory and government relations efforts, playing a crucial role in influencing the complex legal and regulatory landscape of an evolving tribal lending industry.
In this role, you will
- Provide all levels of staff, including management and the Board of Directors, with timely and succinct legal advice, effectively communicating risks and alternatives to internal clients
- Effectively lead the legal function and staff, overseeing routine all corporate legal matters (e.g., transactional and governance work, dispute resolution, governmental affairs, intellectual property, and employment matters)
- Oversee legal research and provision of timely legal advice and guidance on applicable regulatory matters (e.g. EFTA, ECOA, FCRA, GLBA, SCRA, TILA, MLA, and the Turtle Mountain Tribal Lending Code, among others)
- Work with the CEO to proactively communicate with the Tribal Council, Tribal Chairperson, Administration, and all Tribal Departments.
- Lead and grow the compliance function through hands–on program development, day–to–day management, and staff development
- Lead BCF's communications and interactions with federal, tribal, and state regulatory authorities, effectively representing the company's mission and advocating for its interests
- Manage outside counsel resources effectively and efficiently
- Creatively oversee and orchestrate the resolution of any dispute involving the company
- Manage BlueChip's lobbying and government affairs efforts, directing outside lobbying resources and training internal government relations staff
- Participate in functions, events, and leadership roles for relevant industry trade groups (e.g. Online Lenders Alliance (OLA) and Native American Financial Services Association (NAFSA
- Provide training to company employees on substantive legal topics
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned
- J.D. from a top–tier law school and an active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 10+ years prior legal experience, including both law firm and in–house experience serving clients in the financial services industry
- Prior experience directly communicating with federal and state financial regulatory authorities
- Proven experience managing the internal compliance function of a consumer lender or other financial institution
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to establish and maintain strong relationships across the entire organization
- Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and grow high–upside legal and compliance talent
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision, advancing multiple priorities simultaneously
- Desire to work in a fast–paced, collaborative environment
- Prior financial technology (FinTech) or broader financial industry experience, including familiarity with consumer lending operations and regulations
- Experience directly interacting with a Board of Directors, managing governance conversations, training, and documentation
- Past experience managing and/or directly participating in lobbying and government relations initiatives
Location and Travel
BCF is headquartered in Belcourt, North Dakota, with satellite offices in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Atlanta, Georgia. This position can be located at either the North Dakota or Minnesota offices, although travel to both offices will be required. Travel will also be required for industry conferences, trade group events, and government relations efforts, which may vary at times. Total travel should flex between 10% and 30% per month.
- The opportunity to help bring much–needed income and economic development to the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians
- Competitive salary and performance bonuses
- Generous employee benefits plan, including robust healthcare plans, matching 401K, internet and cell phone line and data reimbursement, and four weeks of PTO
- Company–sponsored professional development and training opportunities
- A relocation package can be considered for the ideal candidate
About the Company
BlueChip Financial (d/b/a ) is a leading online direct lender founded in 2012 that utilizes advanced underwriting technology to provide short–term loans to Americans in need. BCF is wholly owned and operated by the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians of North Dakota, a Federally–recognized Native American Tribe (the "Tribe").
BlueChip Financial is an integral part of the Tribe's economic development efforts, and it is an essential provider of employment opportunities on the Tribe's reservation. Employment decisions at BCF are based on qualifications, ability, and merit. When qualifications are equal, candidates who are enrolled members of the Tribe will receive preference. After considering this preference, it is BCF's policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, or national origin.