Associate Corporate Counsel, Patents and Intellectual Property
At ServiceNow, our technology makes the world work for everyone, and our people make it possible. We move fast because the world can't wait, and we innovate in ways no one else can for our customers and communities. By joining ServiceNow, you are part of an ambitious team of change makers who have a restless curiosity and a drive for ingenuity. We know that your best work happens when you live your best life and share your unique talents, so we do everything we can to make that possible. We dream big together, supporting each other to make our individual and collective dreams come true. The future is ours, and it starts with you.
With more than 7,700+ customers, we serve approximately 85% of the Fortune 500 , and we're proud to be one of FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For and World's Most Admired Companies .
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
Unsure if you meet all the qualifications of a job description but are deeply excited about the role? We still encourage you to apply! At ServiceNow, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all voices are heard, valued, and respected. We welcome all candidates, including individuals from non–traditional, varied backgrounds, that might not come from a typical path connected to this role. We believe skills and experience are transferrable, and the desire to dream big makes for great candidates.
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. With a service–orientation toward the activities, tasks and processes that make up day–to–day work life, we help the modern enterprise operate faster and be more scalable than ever before.
We're disruptive. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. We are highly adaptable and constantly evolving. We are passionate about our product, and we live for our customers. We have high expectations and a career at ServiceNow means challenging yourself to always be better.
We are seeking an outstanding patent attorney with 3+ years of experience in a combination of patent prosecution and litigation to join our dynamic legal team. The position will be primarily responsible for advising on a wide variety of patent related matters, including portfolio management, licensing, pre–litigation, and acquisitions. The position requires a team player who is business oriented and will provide exceptional practical work product in a fast–paced, dynamic environment. The position will be based in Santa Clara, San Diego, or remote location in the U.S.
What you get to do in this role:
- Manage a portion of a rapidly growing patent portfolio across ServiceNow's technology areas. This includes internal outreach, invention assessment meetings, patent mining, portfolio analysis, overseeing patent application preparation and prosecution, and advising on continuation practice and foreign applications.
- Be a trusted partner to legal, product, engineering, and business teams to identify and protect key technologies at ServiceNow
- Communicate and interact with top innovators at all levels within the company
- Counsel product and engineering teams regarding intellectual property matters
- Support intellectual property related aspects of commercial transactions, including licensing and acquisitions
- Analyze patents in situations involving litigation, licensing, or potential purchases
To be successful in this role you have:
- Current member in good standing of a U.S. state bar.
- Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or in–house legal department of a technology company advising clients on patent and intellectual property matters, including patent prosecution
- Significant experience analyzing complex technologies, including assessing technological features within an application that are patentable
- A demonstrated ability to investigate and understand technology, including an educational background in a relevant technological area (e.g., computer hardware and software) and/or technical work experience
- Legal knowledge regarding intellectual property and patents, including patent subject matter eligibility, claim analysis and drafting, and IP valuation
- A strong ability to analyze and dissect a patent/patent application, including evaluating the strength of the claims and specification
- Comprehensive understanding of the enterprise IT industry, particularly with regard to cloud computing and software businesses.
- A very strong orientation as a team–player and a bias for sharing information.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism and outstanding business judgment and an innovative approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives.
- A self–starter able to prioritize workload to set goals and meet deadlines in a fluctuating and sometimes ambiguous environment.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
At ServiceNow, we lead with flexibility and trust in our distributed world of work. Click here to learn about our work personas: flexible, remote and required–in–office.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site .
From Fortune. 2022 Fortune Media IP Limited All rights reserved. Used under license.
Fortune and Fortune Media IP Limited are not affiliated with, and do not endorse products or services of, ServiceNow.