Senior Product and Privacy Counsel
Branch is searching for a pragmatic, collaborative, and whip–smart Senior Counsel to lead the Privacy & Product legal function at Branch. As Senior Privacy & Product Counsel, you will report directly to the Vice President of Legal that leads the legal team at Branch and play a critical role at the company. You will own the design and operation of a strong, sustainable privacy program. You'll oversee privacy–by–design, privacy counseling, and privacy compliance globally. And you'll also be a critical partner – in collaboration with other legal teams – in driving Branch's product roadmap forward while protecting the company through smart and creative product counseling.
As a Senior Product & Privacy Counsel, you'll get to:
- Product Guru. Roll up your sleeves to learn the technical details of our products and services inside and out.
- Subject Matter Expert. Serve as Branch's in–house privacy law guru, advising executives and product teams on privacy risks, opportunities, and best practices. Stay abreast of changes to laws and policies relevant to product goals and objectives, educating key stakeholders as necessary.
- Privacy–by–Design. Lead, and strategically enhance, Branch's privacy–by–design and product–by–design processes. Build strong relationships with senior leaders cross–functionally and gain a deep understanding of how each team works to design and operationalize privacy compliance into their teams. Your end goal will be processes that are company–protective, but that are also efficient and designed to help the business think creatively to get to the finish line.
- Privacy & Product Compliance. Lead Branch's global data protection and privacy compliance efforts worldwide. Ensure the global privacy program business practices meet legal compliance with documented goals, objectives, activities, and metrics, including metrics that measure and improve the effectiveness of privacy controls.
- Documentation & Training. Develop, iterate on, and maintain Branch's privacy and data protection documentation, policies, procedures, and training programs.
- Product & Privacy Counseling. Provide practical, solution–focused advice to Engineering and Product teams through the product life cycle in all areas of the law that touch on product development such as privacy, intellectual property, marketing, and consumer protection. Identify potential privacy and information security risks and provide practical risk–mitigation solutions.
- Commercial Team Partner. Build a strong partnership with Branch's Commercial Legal team. You'll collaborate with them on product counseling matters that touch commercial, serve as the subject matter expert and point of escalation for complex privacy issues in commercial transactions, and keep them apprised of key privacy and product legal updates relevant to Branch's customers and partners.
You'll be a good fit if you have:
- Exceptional integrity.
- 5+ years of legal experience, including 3+ years of experience in product & privacy attorney role.
- J.D. and membership in at least one state bar.
- Experience in advising tech companies.
- A deep understanding of, and an insatiable curiosity regarding, privacy law, regulations, and industry trends.
- Rock–solid business judgment, including an ability to calibrate for when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something exactly right.
- Demonstrated the ability to pick things up at blazing speed and work well in a fast–paced environment.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage projects and deadlines with little guidance.
- Highly–responsive and service–oriented approach to driving projects to closure.
Nice To Haves:
- In–house legal experience as the head of privacy/product legal, particularly at a high–growth tech company.
- Experience building out privacy–by–design and/or product–by–design controls and review flows.
- Experience in the B2B SaaS industry.
- Experience in the martech or adtech industries.
- CIPP/US and/or CIPP/E certification is a plus.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents a reasonable estimated compensation range for this role: the estimated pay range for this role, if based in Palo Alto, CA is $212,000 – $270,000.Compensation will be based on experience and level.
Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Palo Alto, CA only. Compensation for candidates outside of Palo Alto, CA will be based on the candidate's specific work location.
Actual compensation will be determined based on skills, experience, and geographic location and may be more or less than the amount shown above.
This role will be based at our Palo Alto office and is eligible to be fully in office, hybrid or fully remote in California. This role is not eligible for remote work in any other location.