Head of Legal
Head of Legal
Sound is looking for an experienced legal professional to lead and manage Sound's Legal function. The Head of Legal will execute our commercial and corporate legal work and effective legal advice to the leadership team on new laws, existing laws and legal rights that would impact functionality of the business.
Responsibilities include negotiating and structuring commercial and technical partnership agreements, managing internal, client and vendor contracts, debt and equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, and management of outside counsel. In addition to the development and implementation of corporate policies and legal tasks around compliance, risk management, financings and human resources.
This role reports to the Chief Financial Officer and can be remote across the United States, or based out of our Emeryville, CA headquarters.
- Overseeing all legal matters of the business and acting as the business' legal representative
- Advising leadership on new laws, existing laws and legal rights that would impact functionality of the business
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including NDAs, MTAs, MSAs, SOWs, and various bespoke legal agreements that may be required to support the company's business objectives
- Advise on corporate governance, manage Board matters, and support financings, capital raising efforts, and M&A activities
- Potentially manage all IP issues (patent, trademark, copyright) with the aid of outside counsel
- Keeping a record of all legal documents and proceedings for the company
- Managing outside counsel
- Oversee privacy and data security issues and advise on all privacy rules/regulations that impact the business and new potential product lines
- Support HR in advising on employment laws and equity compensation
- Facilitating filings of licensing forms and other statutory requirements
- Support international expansion and work closely with outside counsel in each jurisdiction to handle establishing legal entities, tax structures, real estate and employment matters
- Support other matters as they arise, including litigation, compliance, real estate, etc.
$200,000 to $220,000 base salary, plus variable compensation bonus target of 20%, in addition to competitive options package.
Sound reserves the ability to adjust the compensation range based on the final candidate's experience, skillset, and geography. In addition to on target earnings, we offer above average equity grants for the industry as we believe that every employee should have a stake in the company's growth. If you're above this compensation target, we encourage you to reach out and discuss the entire package and opportunity before deciding not to pursue this position.
Skills & Experience
- JD from accredited US law school and admitted to practice in any state in the U.S.
- 6+ years of combined law firm/in–house experience with top tier firm or startup;
- Experience working with high–growth or venture–backed companies, including working with the board of directors
- Track record of structuring and closing complex commercial multi–million dollar transactions
- Experience with financings, capital raising efforts, and M&A
- Experience supporting global expansion activities a plus
- Familiarity with patent prosecution and IP portfolio management a plus
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to both lawyers and non–lawyers, and creation of strong and trusted cross–functional relationships
- Proactive personality and eagerness to learn about the business, products, new areas of law, and applicable regulations
- Thrives in a startup environment with rapid change
- Self–starter, capable of working independently
This role demonstrates our core values by:
- Boldness: Demonstrate boldness by proactively aligning legal strategies with the company's goals and values. Represent Sound confidently in negotiations and agreements, encouraging innovative approaches to legal challenges.
- Ownership: Celebrate ownership of work and decisions while taking full accountability for the legal function's performance, prioritizing the company's long–term interests.
- Tenacity: Show unwavering commitment to resolving legal challenges, even when faced with obstacles. Maintain a solution–oriented mindset to manage legal matters effectively.
- Creativity: Embrace diversity of thought and innovative problem–solving. Challenge conventional legal practices that don't align with Sound's values and foster an environment where creative thinking is valued.