St Andrew Healthcare is the UK's largest mental health charity and a unique provider of specialist care in mental health and learning disability. We aspire to deliver quality, recovery–focussed and holistic provision for and with those who require our services. Our independence as a charity means we can strive to put patients' interests at the heart of our decision–making. We are currently transforming the charity to deliver 'Value Based Healthcare' with the aim of delivering high quality patient outcomes and working collaborative with all our stakeholders.
The Commercial Lawyer will be a key member of a small, friendly team and will be expected to hit the ground running and work with a high level of independence on a range of corporate commercial matters ranging from customer & supplier contracts, research & education matters, banking & finance and property acquisitions, leases and sales, as well as general legal compliance.
- Reviewing and advising on commercial contracts, including procurement contracts, customer contracts, IT contracts and other services contracts
- Assisting the business development team with the legal requirements of tenders and the bidding process
- Advising and assisting on the legal aspects of property sales, purchases, leases and general corporate transactions, including corporate finance and banking law.
- Working alongside the clinical, business development & estates team to deliver their commercial strategies
- Identifying risks and working with the Charity to mitigate/minimise those risks
- Assisting the HR teams generally on employment issues including policies, procedures and tribunals
- Assisting the research team with advice on research contracts and intellectual property matters.
- Undertaking ad hoc activities and legal research tasks as assigned by members of the legal team and any other duties commensurate with the role
- Keeping up to date with changing legislation and producing legal updates or policy amendments as appropriate
- Assisting with insurance issues and claims management.
- Advising on issues of regulatory compliance, risk management, charity law and data protection matters
- Develop knowledge to be able to assist in advising on all aspects of healthcare law including mental health law issues, Court of Protection, Public Law, Administrative Court and inquest matters
What we are looking for:
- An experienced commercial solicitor with 2+ years of commercial legal experience, with a good knowledge of commercial contracts.
- Qualified solicitor (minimum PQE 2 years)
- Confident in decision making
- A proactive approach to engaging with diverse and multi–skilled teams
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal, written and presentational.
- Able to communicate accurately and succinctly with stakeholders at all levels within the organisation.
- Good time management skills, including working to tight deadlines
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Enthusiastic and approachable.
- An ability and willingness to undertake research and provide advice on areas of law new to the post–holder.
- Personal resilience to deal with stressful situations and support staff at distressing times.
- Able to travel between St Andrew's sites in Northampton, Birmingham and Essex.
We offer an excellent benefits package including: Pension, Sickness policy on par with the NHS, Access to the Blue Light Card and Health Service Discounts schemes, 35 days annual leave (including bank holidays), increasing to 41 after 10 years' service, Life cover, Electric Car lease scheme, Cycle to work scheme, Healthcare cash plan, Free parking, Paid DBS application, Access to free vocational qualifications. On–site facilities such as gym and swimming pool access and cafés all set within beautiful grounds.
Please apply or get in touch with Samantha Pendry