Director Legal and Senior Counsel
Role Title: Director Legal and Senior Counsel
Manager: General Counsel – VP Legal, Risks and Compliance
Knowledge and Experience
- Must have a law degree from an accredited law school and be licensed in good standing to practice in at least one state.
- At least seven (7) years of experience as a transactional attorney. In–house experience preferred, but not required.
- You will be responsible for drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements.
- Identify opportunities to increase efficiency in the contract review process, including continuous improvement of templates, signing protocol, and workflow management.
- Support internal teams with ethics and compliance to emphasize and foster a culture of integrity and compliance.
- In this highly visible role, you will be required to partner with law department colleagues, business management, and cross–functional leaders on legal projects and business initiatives, including corporate restructurings, strategic supplier relationships, and business development.
- Some domestic and internal travel required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (incl. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), Outlook, and Windows Explorer, (b) Internet and web research, and (c) Adobe Acrobat.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with the business.
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- Well–versed in how businesses operate.
- Understanding of how legal issues affect the organization.
- Good interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of professional ethics and ability to work in a confidential manner.
- Ability to work hands–on with personnel across various levels within the organization, working collaboratively and cross functionally.
- Organizational skills, precise attention to detail, ability to manage multiple priorities and track extensive details.
- Ability to anticipate legal risks to the business.
- Under the leadership of the KNA General Counsel, provide legal analysis, strategy and solutions for all business activities and teams in a legally sound manner that balances risks with achievement of business goals and objectives.
- Provide legal research, insight, evaluation, guidance, and basic business acumen for transactions, new business areas and business planning.
- Create, review, and maintain contract forms and tools for all businesses and provide education and support to business teams on use.
- Resource for negotiation, structuring, preparation, review and advice on transactions, financing, consultant/vendor, and all other contracts and legal documentation and matters for company.
- Advise the main stakeholders in a business mindset manner in context of legal issues as they arise, in new projects, litigations and transaction matters to allow managers to manage issues directly.
Organic Development/Acquisition and specific transactions
- Under the responsibility of the KNA General Counsel, participate to the contractual and risk mitigation strategy of all organic development (tender responses) and other growth–related transactions.
- Provides legal insight, evaluation and basic business acumen for these transactions, new business areas and business planning.
- Be part of the team to evaluate potential deal structures, providing legal impact insight and basic business acumen to the ideas being considered.
- Supports the Transaction Manager to ensure business leaders are provided timely and accurate due diligence and title information and to ensure that transactions are timely closed with accurate documentation.
- Under the responsibility of the KNA General Counsel participate to the contract management process management.
- Participate and animate to the contract strategy meetings to identify issues and client requirements, facilitate pricing discussions, and obtain senior management input on timelines and deliverables.
- Manage the tools, animate the process and the coaching to ensure the best of breed process of contract management in the region.
- Review contractual performance of both parties to ensure compliance with terms and to identify conflicts or changes requiring resolution at contract renewal. Participate to the development of the negotiation strategies that optimize the benefit of the organization. Engage with the relevant stakeholders in negotiation decisions involving legal or regulatory requirements, contract standards and cost targets.
- Be part of the team for the negotiations during the life of the contract, ensure the appropriate optimization of the contract. In case of claims or litigations, ensure the appropriate actions to optimize the chance on our side.
Insurance, Claims and Risk Management
- Under the leadership of the Vice President of Insurance, Claims & Risk Management, and in partnership with business leaders, ensures customer complaints and disputes/ litigation are noticed to insurers in accordance with policy notice provisions.
- Act as legal liaison in the support of insurance litigation, external dispute resolution, legal collections efforts, as needed.
- Support Enterprise Risk Management program relative to annual risk assessments and mitigation plan collection / reporting.
- Under the leadership of the General Counsel, oversee and maintain corporate responsibilities for the North American region to ensure that legal requirements are met in accordance with shareholders' and managements' objectives.
- Leads formation and corporate governance for all entities.
- Responsible for keeping all Corporate records current and accessible.
- Responsible for compliance with government agencies, annual information statements and miscellaneous filings related to Companies' business activities.
- Responsible for the Secretary work of all entities, promulgating minutes and resolutions regarding corporate acts and decisions.
- Maintain and manage organizations' intellectual property, including corporate trademarks and service marks, name filings, and licenses.
- Ensure of the compliance of the Region governance process.
Provision of high quality, reliable, business enabling resourcing services
- Develop and maintain best practice business processes and technology solutions to support their efficient and effective implementation.
- Identify and coordinate the implementation of new technology solutions to improve the quality and efficiency of the process and outcome.
- Assure compliance with all relevant legislation through all resourcing activities.
- Ensure the development and delivery of targeted resourcing programs and campaigns, in accordance with business needs and inclusivity strategy.
Drug and alcohol screening: Employment contingent upon passing pre–employment drug and alcohol screen. Also, contingent upon receiving a favorable background check. Must pass a physical examination.
Safety commitment: Safety is a way of life at Keolis. By placing safety first, we ensure the wellbeing of our employees, customers, and communities. Together we can become the most successful transportation company in the world. Environmental commitment: Keolis is committed to protecting the environment by minimizing the impact of operations to our people and the communities in which we operate.
Environmental commitment: Keolis is committed to protecting the environment by minimizing the impact of operations to our people and the communities in which we operate.
EEO statement: Our policy is to afford Equal Employment Opportunity to qualified individuals regardless of their race, color, sex, religion, age, creed, marital status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, or gender identification. We maintain a drug–free workplace and perform pre–employment substance abuse testing.
Disclaimer and closing statement: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job. Keolis is committed to offering our employees competitive compensation and benefits, opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.